Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new toy. Everyone needs a good toy. you will probably have to add soon additional lighting at the back. There are many threads on this through. I hope that you will be blessed with many miles and very few service problems.
Big Red

·
Registered
933 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Minivan
I swapped out the reverse lights for LEDs. They are easy to swap but the base is large and I went thru a few sets trying to get the right base size. I also added two 6Led sets inside by box cap. They come on with the box switch. They project about 30m with daylight brightness, even thru the back tinted window.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Is it just me or do the reverse lights do practically nothing for you when backing at night? There has to be a better way.
Yes, the backup lights are 7440 (or W21W) bulbs that put out about 400-450 lumens. Equal to a moderately bright flashlight, but when you spread that same amount of light out as a flood, it's not so bright. You can replace the bulbs with LEDs of 1000 lumens or more. Chris's mod works well if you have a shell. Some guys make cutouts in their rear bumper for LED arrays, and you could do that if you wanted a lot more light.

Here's a RAM (not a Rebel) that a guy added his own rear lights to, and it looks pretty good.
LED pods in rear bumper (pic heavy) - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Those are the LEDs I have also

·
Registered
933 Posts
Out to about 12' they make it very bright.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I swapped out the old bulbs for new LEDs, from Diode Dynamics. They do an awesome job especially when Im backing out of the drive way at night. It really helps the reverse camera as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm wondering too; any error codes? (They say "plug-and-play" but...)

No harness, resistors, etc. come with those.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I've read some place that adding LED lights for back up will blind the back up camera. Havent verified this but it sounds plasable as the backup camera is sensative to light.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As long as the light is shining on the road and not hitting the camera you'll be fine (it won't blind the backup camera). What I did was tie mine directly into the reverse lights so I only use them for reverse. I have other lights for rear lights if I ever need them.

And you shouldn't get any error codes either. LEDs don't draw many amps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.