Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started getting a rough start after the engine has cooled down. sounds like fluttering or chattering, idles all over the place. after a few seconds it maintains its high idle for warming up. not getting any check engine lights yet. 6600 miles on truck now. been looking on ramforumz, pretty good sized post about this there. no definite answer though, 91 octane, air filter, ambient air sensor and goes away on its own seems to be the main answers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
dang, nope haven't seen anything like that. my previous 1500 (2011) had a weird deal where it would cycle the starter over and over like it just couldn't get the juice necessary to actually fire...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Happened to me 2x. Once when I auto started it, it actually stalled. And once when I hit the push start... Coughed and sputtered and ran rough for about 5 seconds. I gave it a little gas and then all good. Was cold/ not freezing outside both times. Around 8000 miles when it happened. I'm over 10000 now and everything has been perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So weird, I turned key forward and let pump cycle. Truck started up fine no strange noises or hiccups

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started that thread over there, about my 1500 Sport. Now, after 10,000 miles on the Rebel it's starting to doing the same thing. Never got any better/worse with the Sport, just stayed the same and it was every morning regardless of the temperature. Dealer said it was "normal", as they do with most anything else that doesn't throw a code or show itself as visibly broken.

·
Banned
248 Posts
I started that thread over there, about my 1500 Sport. Now, after 10,000 miles on the Rebel it's starting to doing the same thing. Never got any better/worse with the Sport, just stayed the same and it was every morning regardless of the temperature. Dealer said it was "normal", as they do with most anything else that doesn't throw a code or show itself as visibly broken.
This is good to know and I haven't even purchased my truck yet. Hopefully by the time the 2017 models come out that the fix some of these issues that you all you guys are having fun that's why it's on my Fiat.
As it goes. Fix it again Tony.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This also happens with mine, idle is all over the place between 800-1800 with cold starts. Its like it wants to go in to high idle mode but just cant do it. I am not sure if these are supposed to automatically go in to high idle with colder starts. Always settles down after about 10-15 seconds, then drives just fine and doesnt do it once warmed up. Ive just been ignoring it for now, will mention it at next service but sounds like nothing you can do about it anyway. Currently running 89 octane ( as recommended I think ) and at 6000 km.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I run 89 octane, 5000 miles on truck, mine usually idles a little rough for about 5-10 seconds when I start it. Like others say, rpms vary quite a bit. seems almost like a few small air pockets build up in fuel lines when it is sitting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My remote start will not start the truck below freezing...only 1500 miles but even twice is too often in Montana with a new truck. Will be talking to dealer this week and see what's up. I've also noticed that the transmission shifts painfully slow in colder temps. Given we hit -38 F here this winter, and +23 this morning, that is also concerning. Only seems to happen after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I run 87 octane in my 2017, no starting issues, and just hit 11k miles. Temps here in jersey are nowhere near what they are in Montana....just luck, hope its nothing serious.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts