Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this has probably been discussed before but while I am towing either my travel trailer or my cargo trailer my rebel is all over the road. Talked to different people and one guy said try 4 wheel alignment. Dealer says maybe the 17' rubber??? My 10 and 13 had 20's on it less sidewall and towed everywhere with no issues. I've been heavily leaning towards ditching the air and going BDS. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I towed about 1k over the recommended trailer weight and had no issues. It's not the answer you wanted to hear, but like the others I'm curious why you're having issues.

Is it loaded correctly? Anything broken on the trailers? I once rented a trailer that had a bent hitch coupler and as a result i couldn't go over 50 mph without it going all over the place.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I towed about 1k over the recommended trailer weight and had no issues. It's not the answer you wanted to hear, but like the others I'm curious why you're having issues.

Is it loaded correctly? Anything broken on the trailers? I once rented a trailer that had a bent hitch coupler and as a result i couldn't go over 50 mph without it going all over the place.
Nothing is wrong with either trailer. Like I said before went from my 13 sport to this rebel. I know a couple other people on here talked about it before but.......

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I would check the tire pressure on the rears. The rebel has the larger sidewall tires coupled with not enough air could be your cause?

I'm not the expert just tossing out some possibilities.....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Consider this: When you're carrying a payload in the bed, of say 1,000 lbs (1/2 ton), the center of gravity of that load is somewhere in the bed, usually between the front of the bed and the rear axle. That center of gravity is then between the axles, and it helps with stability by way of increasing the load on all 4 wheels.

Now, toss out that load, and add a trailer with a tongue weigh of 1,000 lbs. That puts a 1,000 lb load on the trailer hitch, which is behind the rear axle. The rear axle then acts like a fulcrum, and instead of having some of the weigh pushing down on the front end, you have leverage pushing upwards.

That, in and of itself, is a lot of cause for twitchy feeling steering when towing. You may have the tires pressurized correctly for the best driving control, but now you've changed that by decreasing the load on the front, which will allow the tires to sit up higher, and stiffer, not exactly what you wanted. Depending on the load and the trailer hitch, you might actually want to reduce the load on the frone and to get the desired results.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New to Rebel but have towed my 32' travel trailer many times with the wifes expedition. I may be overstating obvious here, sounds like you already know all the basics, but 10ply on sidewall tires and anti sway bar changed my whole world. I would always get some drift regardless. Loose grip my friend.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well. Tried a set of regular 20's off the lot. Looked funny. But did not change anything. I came home grabbed the travel trailer still all over Rd. You know sometimes your driving and the Rd has the rutty things with wide tires it kinda shoots you around? It does it all the time while towing tt. Frik I don't know. Here is a photo with funny tires

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been towing my entire life and had a similar thing happen one time. I made a huge mistake I'll never make again.

It was an Inclosed trailer and it was loaded with too much weight in the rear. The tongue weight was too light actually. Made the trailer sway side to side real bad, I thought I was going to crash when I hit 60mph.

May not be what you are experiencing, but my suggestion would just be making sure the trailer is balanced how it should be.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was thinking tire pressure and size of the sidewall on the factory Ram Rebel tires also, but since you changed the wheels and tires out and still had the same problem then I guess that I am no help. For maximum weight capacity on the factory tires they recommend a higher tire pressure as stated on the tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I first drove mine it was like driving on balloon tires I got use to it but I drive a lot of freeway miles I will get 20" rims with 35s
or 33s and I think that will solve a lot of the motion feeling big side walls are great for off road but horrible on pavement Dodged did a great job with the stock set up no complaints but I do notice the trade off and if I was towing for sure going to less side wall but air bags should not make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I first drove mine it was like driving on balloon tires I got use to it but I drive a lot of freeway miles I will get 20" rims with 35s
or 33s and I think that will solve a lot of the motion feeling big side walls are great for off road but horrible on pavement Dodged did a great job with the stock set up no complaints but I do notice the trade off and if I was towing for sure going to less side wall but air bags should not make that big of a difference.
I like my 20's on my 14 Ram 4x4.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just came back from travelling from one end of the country to the other. Went from Alberta to Ontario. On the way there went down through the US came back into Canada at Sarnia. Came back to Alberta through the northern route. Did not have any issues towing my trailer, 30 ft. Went through some pretty good wind gusts etc. Not sure how your weight distribution bars are set up but maybe want to take a look at that.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.