Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Ryan. I currently own and run a business called Shifts and Grins Fabrication. I have mostly been building items for Toyotas however my passion has always been MOPAR. I have owned several Ram trucks and Jeeps throughout my life. Currently I own a 2019 Ram Rebel and decided I am going to look into pivoting my business to focus on Rams. The first step of that is building out my truck. If things go well and I and the Ram community like what I have to offer, that is what I will focus on. My plans are to do the following:

1) Rock sliders for 33 gallon tank Ram trucks
2) Bed rack for mounting roof top tent and accessories
3) High clearance rear bumper with dual swingouts (Tire carrier and hi lift jack and jerry can set up likely) This bumper will be aggressive and may not ever be offered to the public since it will require some cutting of the bed. (toyota peeps do it but I'm not sure my Ram family will be on board)
4) Hybrid plate and tube front bumper with hidden winch mount
5) Lift (I want to figure out how low I can go and stuff 37s in this B!tch) I currently have air suspension. I havent decided if I am going to keep it or ditch it.
6) Black widow exhaust "super custom setup" with 3" exit out he passenger side.
7) Wheels and tire. I want to stuff 37s on it but keep it as low as possible. No decision on wheel or tire brands at this time.
8) Roof Top Tent. Haven't decided on a brand or style yet.
9) Lots of lights everywhere. Most likely Rigid Indistries since they are local.
10) Everything else I am missing and not thinking of right now.

I am currently not selling anything. Before I do I will get a vendor account. This is just to document my build and see what kind of interest there is. Should I jump ship from the Toyota craze and focus on Rams or stay the course with what has been bringing money in the door???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what my truck looked like when I bought it. I built a black widow muffler system and added lift links that I built.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I started building my rock sliders for the 5th gen Ram with a 33 gallon tank. I would have done weld on but there seems to be a lack of offerings for the bolt on. Because of that, I decided to build these as a bolt on option.
Slider from front.jpg
Slider from rear.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On a side note, I am fairly new to tig welding. I have been mig welding most of my life. I am committed to tig weld as much as possibly and hopeflullt all of this build if time permitts. I'd like to get my tig wleding as good as my mig or even better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man, I'm a TIG welder too as well as CWI. Those weld aren't too shabby! keep it up!
Thank you. I’ve been mig welding most of my life but just picked up a tig welder a few months back and decided to devote some time to that craft.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I like the kickout you put on your sliders. If you design a bed rack system for your truck, don't forget us RAM box guys. I've looked at a couple which will fit the RAM box; both are over two grand. Yikes! And that's just the basic frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the kickout you put on your sliders. If you design a bed rack system for your truck, don't forget us RAM box guys. I've looked at a couple which will fit the RAM box; both are over two grand. Yikes! And that's just the basic frame.
Once I get going I'll look into getting my hands on a 5th gen Ram with Ram boxes for that purpose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to do a test fit/mock up tonight of the sliders and get a little bit of work fone on some bolt on mounting brackets. If I was building this for myself I would do wled on but looking at the big picture, more people want bolt on. My metal supplier was out of DOM tubing so I have a bunch on order since I need to build two toyota sets of rock sliders and finish mine.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
What I know about welding and fabrication would fit on a head of a pin (maybe), so if what follows is idiotic - consider the source. However, I'd think if a rack could be made from aluminum tubing it would be preferable - from a weight standpoint if nothing else. No rust. Can you powdercoat aluminum?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I know about welding and fabrication would fit on a head of a pin (maybe), so if what follows is idiotic - consider the source. However, I'd think if a rack could be made from aluminum tubing it would be preferable - from a weight standpoint if nothing else. No rust. Can you powdercoat aluminum?
Aluminum is a possibility. I may end up offering an aluminum version at some point. They can be powered coated as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My name is Ryan. I currently own and run a business called Shifts and Grins Fabrication. I have mostly been building items for Toyotas however my passion has always been MOPAR. I have owned several Ram trucks and Jeeps throughout my life. Currently I own a 2019 Ram Rebel and decided I am going to look into pivoting my business to focus on Rams. The first step of that is building out my truck. If things go well and I and the Ram community like what I have to offer, that is what I will focus on. My plans are to do the following:

1) Rock sliders for 33 gallon tank Ram trucks
2) Bed rack for mounting roof top tent and accessories
3) High clearance rear bumper with dual swingouts (Tire carrier and hi lift jack and jerry can set up likely) This bumper will be aggressive and may not ever be offered to the public since it will require some cutting of the bed. (toyota peeps do it but I'm not sure my Ram family will be on board)
4) Hybrid plate and tube front bumper with hidden winch mount
5) Lift (I want to figure out how low I can go and stuff 37s in this B!tch) I currently have air suspension. I havent decided if I am going to keep it or ditch it.
6) Black widow exhaust "super custom setup" with 3" exit out he passenger side.
7) Wheels and tire. I want to stuff 37s on it but keep it as low as possible. No decision on wheel or tire brands at this time.
8) Roof Top Tent. Haven't decided on a brand or style yet.
9) Lots of lights everywhere. Most likely Rigid Indistries since they are local.
10) Everything else I am missing and not thinking of right now.

I am currently not selling anything. Before I do I will get a vendor account. This is just to document my build and see what kind of interest there is. Should I jump ship from the Toyota craze and focus on Rams or stay the course with what has been bringing money in the door???
ABSOLUTELY!We need more shop owners that can fab custom work for this community! I have a 2016 Rebel myself and am currently in the works to putting a supercharger on it. Nothing crazy just fun BUT I also do a lot of truck camping and have been looking at getting the tent over bed style as well. Where are you located? Maybe we can hook up it’d be cool to see what ya workin with! My email is [email protected].

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ABSOLUTELY!We need more shop owners that can fab custom work for this community! I have a 2016 Rebel myself and am currently in the works to putting a supercharger on it. Nothing crazy just fun BUT I also do a lot of truck camping and have been looking at getting the tent over bed style as well. Where are you located? Maybe we can hook up it’d be cool to see what ya workin with! My email is [email protected].
I'm in Gilbert AZ. Let me know. Once I get some of the 5th gen stuff going I want to expand into the 4th gen and the 2500/3500 market. I want to specialize in and do nothing but Ram trucks. Now if I can finish all of the Toyota work that has been coming in so I can focus on Rams. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was finally able to get some more progress on the Sliders. Passenger is mounted and almost done other than powder coating. Really happy with how they are turning out. A few more welds and a few more gussets and passenger side done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Prototypes take forever. I appologize for the slow progress. Here is what I have for now. I am really liking the final product so I will make a jig to make it repeatable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts