Ram Rebel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I accidentally posted my updates in the wrong thread last night so here it is in my thread.

The drivers side outers should be done tomorrow. I got the main tube (2x2" square) cut to length and the rear kickout welded on. I also got the main round tube bent. Don't really want to disturb the neighbors so I am calling it a night with cutting. Tomorrow evening I will cut the main round tube to length and notch it. It will get welded in as well as the center supports. I'm hoping to have everything except powder coat done on these by this weekend. Not sure if I'll move to the bedrack or the rear bumper next. Part of me wants to do the bed rack for a quick easy win. Part of me wants to move to the rear bumper because I am going to do something that will make some cringe and some green with envy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Drivers side outers almost done. Two support tubes left to cut, notch and weld. ThenI have to cut brackets, runners from sliders to frame brackets, and gussets. Plan is to have these ready to go to powder coat on Monday and then start the next build. Should I go bed rack for roof top tent, Rear bumper or front bumper next??? Still haven't decided.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A few updates from today. I looked at a new house that would accomodate a very large (over 3,000 square feet shop) but my wife and daughter didn't like the house very much. So when I wasn't trying to expand shop space, I was working on actual products, (Toyoata sliders and Ram sliders)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, I'm hoping to have these done and to powder coat on Monday. Should I tackle the bed cage, front bumper or rear bumper next????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some minor updates. Way behind schedule of where I wanted to be. Passenger side is completely done. Drivers side outer is done and brackets are cut. Tomorrow I will bolt up the brackets and tack everything in place. I will then remove it and final weld everything. Once that is done, I will send both sides to powder coat and final install. Bumpers will likely be my next project. I will likely do my rear bumper first as I am talking to some winch manufacturers to see which winch I will run on this build. On a side note, once the sliders are completely done, I will build jigs to make rebuiling them quick and repeatable.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
266 Posts
I love the bump-out for the box-end.
I recently sold the bars my truck came with, can’t stand the stock square tube ones.
Everyone seems to be going to the twin step looking running boards, I just couldn’t find anything I liked and bought amp power steps.

got some more side shots?

Reactions: rynob79

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I love the bump-out for the box-end.
I recently sold the bars my truck came with, can’t stand the stock square tube ones.
Everyone seems to be going to the twin step looking running boards, I just couldn’t find anything I liked and bought amp power steps.

got some more side shots?
What angle would you like to see?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
266 Posts
Just straight from the side and maybe from 45 degrees at the front corner.
helps give an idea of how it looks compared to other nerf bars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
A little update with more angles. Driver's side slider is mounted. I have to redesign one bracket on the drivers side to accomodate skid plates. Started working on a belly skid design as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got the truck out this weekend and did some testing. Sliders held up well. They will hold the entire weight of the truck just fine. I am also extremely surprised and impressed with howwell this truck does offroad. If I didn't care about the paint it would have been a much more pleasant trip. The Arizona desert can be hell on a paint job. I would say going up rocky steep loose hills (mounatains) it did as well if not better than any of my Jeeps have done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Don't mind the grime on the sliders in some of the photos. I was handling them with grimmy gloves when installing them. Super happy with them. I will run this set until I get caught up on on my other prototypes and then I will build version 2.0 with some minor tweaks. I'll also be offering these without the kickout on the rear for people who prefer that. I may offer a similar looking set that bolts to the factory studs on the body for step rails. If I build those they will be built with much lighter materials but will have that rock slider look in a step. Thy would be a good option for someone wanting a lighter and less expensive step that has the look of a slider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Developed some brackets to mount to the rear receiver hich and allows you to bolt up rear TRX tow hooks. They are live on my website now so hopefully I can get back to the rear bumper build I started for this truck. I'll dump some photos. www.shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com

21 - 36 of 36 Posts