·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Haven't done it but had the same thought

Reactions: Zombie Consultant

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd always prefer powder coating, in my experience and depending where you live, paint tends to spoil very quickly compared to powder coating.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thinking that's why some have mentioned plastidip. Can always peel it off if you don't like it. Example on my 2012...rims and badges plastidipped matte black

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd always prefer powder coating, in my experience and depending where you live, paint tends to spoil very quickly compared to powder coating.
I agree with you for a long term solution but for short money (less than $100) you can test your new color combo to see if it really is the look you are after before you commit to powder coating in terms of cost and the time your truck is off the road.

Q

·
0 Posts
Glossifier, what a name. What I would need is something to keep the wife calm as I spend money on the truck. Do they have a color called Pacifier???
@John, Buy a pair of pink truck nuts, hand them to your wife and say Honey put these on your vehicle, tell her they are a gift from your Rebel to her vehicle. lol...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plasti dip? How many coats and did you seal it afterwards?
Yes, I used Plasti Dip. I did about 4 coats on the Emblems and Rims. The front skid plate required 5 to fully cover.
Also - what do you mean by seal?

One tip for everyone here - before you use your Plasti Dip, submerge the lower 3/4 of the can in a bucket of hot water from the sink for 5-10 min before use. This makes the spray pattern much easier to manage and provides a much smoother finish.

Q

·
0 Posts
Yes, I used Plasti Dip. I did about 4 coats on the Emblems and Rims. The front skid plate required 5 to fully cover.
Also - what do you mean by seal?

One tip for everyone here - before you use your Plasti Dip, submerge the lower 3/4 of the can in a bucket of hot water from the sink for 5-10 min before use. This makes the spray pattern much easier to manage and provides a much smoother finish.
What I meant was did you use any type of clear sealer whether it be glossy or flat over the plasti dip. Which I'm told prevents it from chipping away? How did you prevent it from getting on the tires? My friend used index cards when he did his ford truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I meant was did you use any type of clear sealer whether it be glossy or flat over the plasti dip. Which I'm told prevents it from chipping away? How did you prevent it from getting on the tires? My friend used index cards when he did his ford truck.
Ahhh sorry about that. I did not use any seal. Do you have any you recommend? I want to keep the flat look rather than glossy because right now it matches the rest of the truck perfectly.

In regards to the tires - I actually applied high gloss tire coating over my tires before I sprayed them. It acts as a protector and the dip peeled right off easily. Note cards work well too. I also used plastic grocery bags for behind the rims to protect the brakes from over spray (see picture below).

Attachments

Q

·
0 Posts
Ahhh sorry about that. I did not use any seal. Do you have any you recommend? I want to keep the flat look rather than glossy because right now it matches the rest of the truck perfectly.

In regards to the tires - I actually applied high gloss tire coating over my tires before I sprayed them. It acts as a protector and the dip peeled right off easily. Note cards work well too. I also used plastic grocery bags for behind the rims to protect the brakes from over spray (see picture below).
Very cool idea indeed. I will have to remember that when I get mine. As for a clear coat. My friend used krylon flat clean spray. Two coats.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
There are some sealants designed specifically for Plasti Dip, too. You might want to check them out. They have them in gloss and satin finishes, among others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts