Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and girls. Anyone else have an issue with the tailgate falling down randomly while driving or in park? Happened 3 times to mine, took to dealer and they just greased the latches then happened 3 times again. At a different dealer now and they say they can't see an issue. Happens with and without tonneau cover on. That and WTF with the breaks 40000km under a year and telling me I better do the 3rd break service on them or it'll cause problems

·
Registered
952 Posts
I installed a tailgate seal to keep dust and water out of the box. It is a tight seal so when I close the tailgate I give it a tug to be sure it is latched. Do you perform a test after you close it up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
hey guys and girls. Anyone else have an issue with the tailgate falling down randomly while driving or in park? Happened 3 times to mine, took to dealer and they just greased the latches then happened 3 times again. At a different dealer now and they say they can't see an issue. Happens with and without tonneau cover on. That and WTF with the breaks 40000km under a year and telling me I better do the 3rd break service on them or it'll cause problems
Like the un aligned bumpers, there's a good chance that the tailgate can be un aligned as well, check it for level and square.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You might want to see how much pressure the tonneau is putting on the tailgate. It's one thing for something to be slipping as the truck is bouncing around, but when it's sitting still, ... there's something pushing on it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried a test I thought would find the problem 2 dealer service departments later. Locked and unlocked 4 times on 4th unlock the tailgate latch comes undone and tailgate falls.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks similar but doesn't mention it being the lock mechanism . All I can say it's a chrysler fiat problem / issue and they better fix it for $0

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
No, doesn't say anything about the lock. But if you look at the inside, the lock sits close to some of the other components. I'm thinking that if the latch doesn't have tension on it, activating the lock a few times might cause the latch to shift and open. Normally there is some sort of spring tension on tailgate latches, although not a lot. I don't know exactly where that's generated though.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I really hate to be the one that says this but that's what the warranty is for. You did not buy a $50,000 + truck to go around with a tailgate that falls down anytime. I'm sorry but you need to take it back till they send it to the body shop and fix it! Remember warranty.
Big Red

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Agree with Big Red, best to take it back to the dealer to fix it. If they can't fix it, time to call FCA. But it does help to know some of the possible causes. If it's an odd or rare problem and the mechanic is stumped, it never hurts to share what you've come across. It shouldn't have to be sent out to a body shop for special attention and more delays.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You might want to see how much pressure the tonneau is putting on the tailgate. It's one thing for something to be slipping as the truck is bouncing around, but when it's sitting still, ... there's something pushing on it?[/UOTE]

The reason I suggested the body shop is they are more experienced in the alignment of doors and tailgates. Mechanics make them go and the body shop makes them look good.
There is something that's not locking up the way it should. I also suspect that there is pressure being applied that should not be.
Big Red

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Have you or white rebel made any mods to the tailgate? Like a gasket or the Eeezee shock to assist in lowering the gate.
Try putting something on the catches and close easy then look at the latches to see if they are catching correctly.
Big Red

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you or white rebel made any mods to the tailgate? Like a gasket or the Eeezee shock to assist in lowering the gate.
Try putting something on the catches and close easy then look at the latches to see if they are catching correctly.
Big Red
I'd love to know this as well considering I just installed a DeeZee yesterday (and yes, I fought that blindnut like everyone else...sure wish they put the loctite trick in the manual...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem - random drop....but I have narrowed it down to the automatic door/tail gate locking mechanism. It faalls at low speed just about the time the auto lock engages. If I manually lock - it still drops at same time as sensor sends message to lock. Dealer has replaced latches and had it in 5 times now - they cannot replicate - but I think they have not tried to replicate only at door lock engage. They have driven it and made slow turns over and over - but the randomness is the problem. Unpredictable. I am going to go back again and have them focus on auto lock. I do not believe it is mechanical. I also have a tonneau but it does not come into contact with the tailgate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a narrowed it down to about 3-4 lock unlock cycles and it lets go. Still yet to go back to the dealers. But am booked in next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started having issue 3 weeks ago with tailgate randomly falling down, both in park and drive. Of course, it started right at 36k miles. I took to dealer, they replaced latches. It continued to happen. I took to dealer, they kept it all day, couldn't replicate, told me I was shutting it wrong. Kept happening, I took back to dealer. I think it's fixed. I noticed it was falling open, randomly, but just after doors auto locked. I insisted they change the locking mechanism. When they finished, they told me the linex had overspray that got into the locking mechanism. Strange that it took 36k miles to become an issue, but, maybe this info will help someone else! It was a very frustrating 3 weeks!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Good that you pushed them and they found it. I don't appreciate their assumption that you were shutting it wrong. There's only one way to shut a tailgate after all. Sounds more like they just didn't really think a woman should own a truck?

Linex is some fairly tough stuff. I can see where it might have taken a while to rub pieces off the overspray area and drag them into the lock. Maybe that's what happened to some of the other folks that have reported locking issues. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts