Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am/was looking for a ram sport and was walking around a storage lot looking at all the different colors. I came across a rebel and instantly fell in love with the interior of the truck (the outside is growing on me). Anyways I was working near a dealer a couple weeks ago that had one in stock and decided to take it out for a drive. The first thing I noticed was that the tires were all around 44 psi of pressure and the dash was showing low tire pressure and said to inflate the tires to 50psi. I know I normally keep my vehicles around 35 so I was a little surprised to see that. I then took it out onto a road which wasn't the smoothest road and the Rebel rode pretty rough in my opinion. So I was wondering if that's how they all ride, or was there something wrong with the truck/air pressure? Now I know they aren't going to ride like a Cadillac so I wasn't expecting that, but it rode way harder than I thought it would. I'm definitely going to test drive another one to compare but I was wondering if you guys could give me some input. Even the salesman said something about how hard it rode. I also own a trucking company and we have plenty of F250's, F550's and even a dodge 2500, so I am used to rough riding vehicles. I would say it rode worse than the 2500 dodge we have. However it would be my daily and i'm looking for something that isn't going to throw me around.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Guys I am/was looking for a ram sport and was walking around a storage lot looking at all the different colors. I came across a rebel and instantly fell in love with the interior of the truck (the outside is growing on me). Anyways I was working near a dealer a couple weeks ago that had one in stock and decided to take it out for a drive. The first thing I noticed was that the tires were all around 44 psi of pressure and the dash was showing low tire pressure and said to inflate the tires to 50psi. I know I normally keep my vehicles around 35 so I was a little surprised to see that. I then took it out onto a road which wasn't the smoothest road and the Rebel rode pretty rough in my opinion. So I was wondering if that's how they all ride, or was there something wrong with the truck/air pressure? Now I know they aren't going to ride like a Cadillac so I wasn't expecting that, but it rode way harder than I thought it would. I'm definitely going to test drive another one to compare but I was wondering if you guys could give me some input. Even the salesman said something about how hard it rode. I also own a trucking company and we have plenty of F250's, F550's and even a dodge 2500, so I am used to rough riding vehicles. I would say it rode worse than the 2500 dodge we have. However it would be my daily and i'm looking for something that isn't going to throw me around.
The specs on the Rebel with air suspension ride require front tires at 55psi and rear at 45psi. I can actually tell by the ride when the tires are getting low. Eventually I'm changing my air out for nitrogen. Dealer had mine all wrong too when I test drove it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The specs on the Rebel with air suspension ride require front tires at 55psi and rear at 45psi. I can actually tell by the ride when the tires are getting low. Eventually I'm changing my air out for nitrogen. Dealer had mine all wrong too when I test drove it.

try 40 below without the wind chill....u rebs have It made

·
Registered
276 Posts
The truck drives great with the correct pressure and decent road and that's jumping from a 2015 Dodge Charger to the 2016 Ram

·
Registered
78 Posts
Front tires are suppose to be 55 psi and rear tires 45 psi.

This truck rides better than all my previous trucks I've ever owned with factory and aftermarket suspensions. I've had 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 tons and this trucks ride is the best I've ever had. Also, the rear end hop over bridges that all trucks have is just about non-existent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Front tires are suppose to be 55 psi and rear tires 45 psi.

This truck rides better than all my previous trucks I've ever owned with factory and aftermarket suspensions. I've had 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 tons and this trucks ride is the best I've ever had. Also, the rear end hop over bridges that all trucks have is just about non-existent.
How about tire pressures when towing a 7000 LB travel trailer ? I know the tire pressure sticker in the door say front 55. Rear 45, what about towing ? I dont want to tow with underinflated tires.
Bert

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Towing guidelines are to increase rear pressure to 50, i think. That's what I came up with after reading them before towing, but for a 3500 lb trailer. Best check the books (manuals).

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
You know whats a rough ride? Try a horse and buggy with solid oak wheels. Thats a rough ride. You know what else is a rough ride, 5ft seas on a 50ft sea ray. Thats a rough ride.

Know whats not a rough ride? Ram rebel with air ride suspension.
Thats whats know as a nice a$$ ride.

Grow a pair and complain about sumtin else pansy. Oh and happy new year!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine rides like a Cadillac. Much better than the sport 1500 with 20s that I traded in for the rebel and I thought that rode great

·
Registered
106 Posts
The first thing I noticed was that the tires were all around 44 psi of pressure and the dash was showing low tire pressure and said to inflate the tires to 50psi. I know I normally keep my vehicles around 35 so I was a little surprised to see that.
Many half-ton pickups come with P-metric (passenger) tires, and 35 psi is fine for those. The Rebel comes with LT tires and require higher pressures for most situations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
you might make sure the air suspensions is at normal not aero I thank it is a rougher ride on the rough roads .

·
Registered
122 Posts
you might make sure the air suspensions is at normal not aero I thank it is a rougher ride on the rough roads .
Good point and along those lines perhaps the truck was in off road mode for the test ride. It would lower to normal at speeds over 25 but it would be rough until that point. I live on a dirt road and the Rebel is very comfortable down my road and around town. When I first purchased the truck I tried it in off road on my road and the ride was rough as it tops out the suspension. Like the manuals say the off road mode is for ground clearance not improved ride. I am a fan of the air suspension, have not had problems with it in cold temps down to -32. Fingers crossed. I find it very comfortable IMO. Really enjoying it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Air suspension spoiled me. I will never own another spring suspension vehicle again. The fact I can adjust it for my needs is icing on the cake. It's fantastic to lower it down on the stops for easy entry or loading if needed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I really like the ride. It is far superior to the ‘burb I had before. I am tall and I love that I can lower it and almost get in like it is a car. It is also great for loading/ unloading the bed.
You definitely don’t want to drive around town in aero mode, it reduces the comfort of the ride ie. it is stiffer

·
Registered
337 Posts
Has anyone ever compared the ride of a 2017 to 2018? I test drive a 2017 before buying a 2018, and it could be my imagination, but i could swear the 2018 is a rougher ride. The only variables i can think of are tire pressure and ambient temps... not sure what the 2017 I test drive was set at, and it was on an 80° day. It's been cold since i bought mine, and i have tried various psi between 43-53 rear and 48-58 front.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Has anyone ever compared the ride of a 2017 to 2018? I test drive a 2017 before buying a 2018, and it could be my imagination, but i could swear the 2018 is a rougher ride. The only variables i can think of are tire pressure and ambient temps... not sure what the 2017 I test drive was set at, and it was on an 80° day. It's been cold since i bought mine, and i have tried various psi between 43-53 rear and 48-58 front.
Toyo’s on both?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Weird that they would ride different. Did the 2017 have many miles/ Kms on it?
I think it was brand new. I drove it back to back with a 2017 1500 Sport (on 20s, without air ride) and a 2017 1500 Limited (on 20s, with air ride)...the Limited was the smoothest of the 3, but the Rebel was very close, with just a touch more harshness on bumps. Both were better than the Sport without air in terms of compliance and controlling body roll (which was what sold me on the air ride).

When I picked up my 2018, I was like... what? Is this the same truck? First thing I did was check the psi, and it was at like 53 rear, 55 front...I thought that was way too high, but then I checked the placard in the door jam (which calls for 45/55) and realized only the rear was high. Backing down the rear psi helped.

I've been trying to read up on tires and commensurate psi for different tire sizes/types for different circumstances...I'm convinced that 45/55 is too high for our Toyos for normal driving. But I haven't gotten a handle on it well enough yet to say definitively.

I feel like one of two things is going on...either the psi on the 2017 Rebel was much lower, or there is something a little wonky with 2018 air ride. (I could swear the truck rides softer one day, then more harsh the next on the same road at the same psi.)
That's why I was wondering if anyone else has driven a 2017 and a 2018 back to back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts