Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas to Alaska in my ’17 Mojave Sand Rebel and here are some observations.

Got very lucky with the early April weather as we had clear roads and sunshine the entire trip with high temperatures from 45 to 65 degrees. Those nice mounted and balanced Norwegian Studded Snow Tires never came out of the pickup bed, but heh, I’ll take the sunshine any day.

Overall the truck did great. This is my first Dodge truck and I like it EXCEPT for the air ride suspension which sucks.

It allows the truck to “move around” on its chassis at highway speeds which is unsettling until you get used to it. It improved a bit after I changed to Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/70R17 tires, but it wasn’t eliminated.

AERO mode is terrible as it lessens the suspension travel. I suspect Dodge included it to placate the Eco Nazis at the EPA. Once I reached the Yukon the Alaska Highway has areas with road buckles where the permafrost has melted and especially in AERO mode the suspension bottoms out. I did finally figure out how to disable AERO which eliminated 80% of the bottoming - but still - a lightly loaded 4x4 truck bottoming the suspension in dips, get with it Dodge.

The moving around on the chassis and suspension bottoming is annoying enough that I will deal with it when the ’18 models come out either by buying a TRX (are you listening Dodge) or going back to a Raptor (are you listening Dodge), I’d prefer the TRX (are you listening Dodge).

The only other issue I have, and its a minor one so far, is the truck doesn’t like the cold. The first morning that I woke to 25 degrees had the truck displaying an error message for the air suspension, the traction control, and the trailer brakes. The messages go away on their own after the truck has reached normal operating temperature. But clearly the truck was never tested in cold environments.

Other then the terrible air suspension I really like the truck, and with the Fuels and bigger tires its getting similar looks and comments my Raptors got. In fact the local Dodge dealership up here in Alaska wants to buy it from me when I’m ready to sell it. So far it’s the only Mojave Sand Rebel I’ve seen up here.

Please Dodge build the TRX, or offer a Rebel with a real suspension system appropriate for a 4x4 truck.

This photo is of the the Texas to Alaska trip. Pleased with the gas mileage for sure. Surprised at the average speed since I didn’t bust the speed limit (okay a couple of time in Canada maybe where the limits were ridiculously low).

Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think the suspension performs wonderfully. I've never experienced any "moving around on the chassis," and your mentioning that a tire change improved this condition would indicate it's not the suspension anyways. If you're bottoming out the suspension, you must be driving really fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I live in Alberta Canada where it can get really cold in the winter with lots of snow. I never experienced any of the the issues you mentioned about the air suspension. Not really sure what's happening with your truck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in Alberta Canada where it can get really cold in the winter with lots of snow. I never experienced any of the the issues you mentioned about the air suspension. Not really sure what's happening with your truck.
Likewise, I really haven't had any problems with the truck 'moving around' on the suspension. However, the ride to me is on the soft side - but then again I do most of my driving in a 2500 4X4 Cummins. For what it is, the Rebel is a nice truck and I've had no problems at all so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
but its not a dodge...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've noticed the same issues that you have with the truck moving around. It feels almost like the rear will shift to the side while the tires stay in the same line while taking a corner. Hard to explain, but I've never had this with any regular suspension vehicles. So I can only think that it is the air suspension as well. I'm also not breaking the speed limits or going over the recommended speeds for turns when driving down the road either.

I think this is the same issue that I've seen posted about from a couple people that have had issues when towing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I changed to the wider wheels and Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs the problem went away. 15,000 miles on the truck now with no other problems. It's a good truck and turns heads up here in Alaska, especially the Mojave Sand color. But I miss driving a Raptor and there is no TRX this year so I ordered an 18 Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea the whole time I'm reading this and I'm saying to my self ITS NOT A DODGE. FCA separated them back in 2011. And I don't know what chassis/air suspension movement you are talking about. Yes its a different feel then coilovers or leafsprings but its a not a bad feeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.