Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my new Rebel about 2 weeks and already 2 cracks in my windshield from tiny pebbles! The first one I just started moving from a red light. I’ve never had a windshield crack so easily out of the 10 vehicles I’ve owned.

Anyone else experience this?

Should I call the dealer and see if they’ll help me with a new windshield?

Should I stop bitching and just replace it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm not sure what State you are in but here in Kentucky windshield are replaced at no charge to the owner. If you have comprehensive ins. on your Rebel. If not shame on you. Call your insurance s
Agent. My wife just had the one in her 2019 Pacifica. There was no cost to us and they came to the house and replaced it.
Big Red

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what State you are in but here in Kentucky windshield are replaced at no charge to the owner. If you have comprehensive ins. on your Rebel. If not shame on you. Call your insurance s
Agent. My wife just had the one in her 2019 Pacifica. There was no cost to us and they came to the house and replaced it.
Big Red
Is that the crap they try and sell you with the wheel n tire plan at the dealership when ur about to sign the contract?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No. It’s what you paid for when you bought car insurance, assuming you bought comprehensive coverage on your new truck. In some states, there is no deductible for windshield replacement. Otherwise, you can pay out of pocket... probably less than $500.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So I’ve had my new Rebel about 2 weeks and already 2 cracks in my windshield from tiny pebbles! The first one I just started moving from a red light. I’ve never had a windshield crack so easily out of the 10 vehicles I’ve owned.

Anyone else experience this?

Should I call the dealer and see if they’ll help me with a new windshield?

Should I stop bitching and just replace it myself?

Yeah my buddy and I have noticed this to and he some how has chips in his sun roof, my Dakota doesn't have this problem and my old bighorn took some serious rocks to the windshield and it never chipped or cracked

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Windshield cracks varies from the size of pebbles, angle of trajectory, speed, impact material type, etc. Sometimes you can be doing 50 and a see a pebble coming leaving no cracks after impact. So to say you have a thin windshield is bs. You can try and bellyache to the dealer, but you already know what they are going to say.
Like red said, get comprehensive insurance and you'll be golden. I have a 50 dollar deductible and tho i haven't had any cracks in windshield, but when i do, i know I'm covered. Understanding it all sucks, but life wouldn't be a challenge without it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Windshield cracks varies from the size of pebbles, angle of trajectory, speed, impact material type, etc. Sometimes you can be doing 50 and a see a pebble coming leaving no cracks after impact. So to say you have a thin windshield is bs. You can try and bellyache to the dealer, but you already know what they are going to say.
Like red said, get comprehensive insurance and you'll be golden. I have a 50 dollar deductible and tho i haven't had any cracks in windshield, but when i do, i know I'm covered. Understanding it all sucks, but life wouldn't be a challenge without it.
Well thanks for the science lesson but this windshield cracks incredibly easy. As I said for the firs crack I just started rolling out of a red light. I’ll call my insurance company.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’ve had issues too, but then again in Arizona it is very common to have a cracked windshield about once every 18-24 months. What is most annoying is the “pitting” from small pebbles and sand hitting the windshield. Like others have posted most insurance companies offer 100% glass replacement. It’s very refreshing to have the windshield replaced each year with new Ram factory glass. Super clear visibility for at least the next 30 days before the pitting starts again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I haven't had this issue with my 2017, but my daughter complained about getting a crack in her 2019 Rebel windshield a week after she bought it. We both live in the same area and see the same conditions, but her commute is about 3 miles where mine is 25 minutes at highway speeds. I've gotten tagged by a lot of gravel and not had any cracks. Maybe there is an issue with the 5th gen windshields.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had this issue with my 2017, but my daughter complained about getting a crack in her 2019 Rebel windshield a week after she bought it. We both live in the same area and see the same conditions, but her commute is about 3 miles where mine is 25 minutes at highway speeds. I've gotten tagged by a lot of gravel and not had any cracks. Maybe there is an issue with the 5th gen windshields.
Well I did contact the dealer as well as 3 windshield replacement companies, the damn thing is on back order for all of em and costs $980!

There must be something to this!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I did contact the dealer as well as 3 windshield replacement companies, the damn thing is on back order for all of em and costs $980!

There must be something to this!!!!!

Interesting. I too have a cracked windshield. I just figured it was bad luck, but reading some of these posts makes me wonder if they are using a lower quality glass than in previous years. Turned mine into insurance, but yikes pretty expensive piece of glass. My truck barely has 600 miles, so just sad it happened and I hope the new glass fits and looks as good as the original. Fingers crossed that this one will fare better. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Not sure why this is such a hot topic on simple observation and no proof. It’s a simple math equation, and federal law. Go measure a 2003 ram windshield thickness and compare it to a 2017 windshield. If the numbers don’t match, you have a multi million dollar paycheck coming your way.....
Now be off with your hypothetical measurement sticks And collect your paycheck....all I ask is for 10% of the cut.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think nearly everything in this forum is based on personal experience and observation. Its really the purpose of these forums to share those observations and experiences. Never meant to offend anyone and I know I have learned tons of cool things on this forum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's more fun to talk about observations and speculate zim. Sorry old boy.
It wouldn't surprise me if the windshields actually are thinner in the 5th gen models. With federal fuel economy standards, car manufacturers are looking for ways of saving weight wherever they can. I seriously doubt there is a federal law stating how thick the windshield has to be. It's more likely that it has to stand up to certain testing. Passing these tests may not have anything to do with being able to withstand rock chips or cracking. But instead be able to keep certain types of projectiles from penetrating through during a crash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure why this is such a hot topic on simple observation and no proof. It’s a simple math equation, and federal law. Go measure a 2003 ram windshield thickness and compare it to a 2017 windshield. If the numbers don’t match, you have a multi million dollar paycheck coming your way.....
Now be off with your hypothetical measurement sticks And collect your paycheck....all I ask is for 10% of the cut.
Ur a moron

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
It's more fun to talk about observations and speculate zim. Sorry old boy.
It wouldn't surprise me if the windshields actually are thinner in the 5th gen models. With federal fuel economy standards, car manufacturers are looking for ways of saving weight wherever they can. I seriously doubt there is a federal law stating how thick the windshield has to be. It's more likely that it has to stand up to certain testing. Passing these tests may not have anything to do with being able to withstand rock chips or cracking. But instead be able to keep certain types of projectiles from penetrating through during a crash.
Federal Motor Vehicle SafetyStandard 205 (or FMVSS 205 for short) addresses windshieldglazing standards. In simple terms, this piece of regulation sets very precise standards for auto glass transparency and strength.

Federal gov is involved with every aspect of your vehicle, to include windshield.
Sucks but lessons learned over the years has enabled big brother to be specific on glass design and strength. Granted, some will cheat the system. Aka vw and their emissions scandal....again, i stick to my orginal quote, read the regulation, go measure the thickness, compare, and if measurements are off, you have a legendary legal case worth millions. My take is now 20%.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Ur a moron

Ah, the simple, elegance of a one liner representation in meaningless knowledge when one doesn't have any cells left in the comprehension part of brain. So. In my defense of this topic, i thought it was speculations and venting and not name calling on ones character as we were just tossing around thoughts and speculations.....and i did provide my thoughts, which i thought was what mattered. However, i gather you have very little other than your windshield cracked and therefore the material is defective. With no proof mind you, and, End of story. No wait, i forgot. And you want a free windshield replacement.

You my childish friend, are a uniformed, uneducated, and a very immature consumer with a very limited vocabulary, maybe 3rd grade? I say this very sternly with a strong tone. And, of course followed by the finger salute.
Awaiting the magnificent response that i shall savor and no doubt have to repent my sins......and i say that very, very sarcastically with joy in my tone.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just call your insurance company and tell them you got a big old crack in windshield right eye level. Do not settle for anything less than a exact for marked replacement.
If not you will get a cheap one with no factory markings that will stick out like a sore thumb. They will drop the value of your truck.
Big Red

·
Registered
80 Posts
Current suspicions are defective windshields or a pinch point on Pano equiped trucks. Over at 5th Gen forums there's over a dozen owners with Pano roofs and cracks within 5000 miles. Mine cracked at the 2000 mile mark.

It's not coincidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts