Ram Rebel Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Federal Motor Vehicle SafetyStandard 205 (or FMVSS 205 for short) addresses windshieldglazing standards. In simple terms, this piece of regulation sets very precise standards for auto glass transparency and strength.

Federal gov is involved with every aspect of your vehicle, to include windshield.
Sucks but lessons learned over the years has enabled big brother to be specific on glass design and strength. Granted, some will cheat the system. Aka vw and their emissions scandal....again, i stick to my orginal quote, read the regulation, go measure the thickness, compare, and if measurements are off, you have a legendary legal case worth millions. My take is now 20%.
Standards are for transparency and strength, which is pretty much what I said. No mention of a standard for thickness, which is what you said we should measure. Thanks for driving my point home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just call your insurance company and tell them you got a big old crack in windshield right eye level. Do not settle for anything less than a exact for marked replacement.
If not you will get a cheap one with no factory markings that will stick out like a sore thumb. They will drop the value of your truck.
Big Red
When was the last time you paid any attention to the windshield marking when you bought a car? And even if you did, when was the last time you got a discount because it wasn’t OEM glass?

Lots of people are hell bent on getting OEM glass until they’ve tried non-OEM glass and see/feel no difference. I mean if OEM glass cracked so easily, how much worse can it get?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I check the glass every time I buy a vehicle. I have never seen a replacement that didn't leak. Give it time. I hate a leak more than rust.
Big Red

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’ve had my new Rebel about 2 weeks and already 2 cracks in my windshield from tiny pebbles! The first one I just started moving from a red light. I’ve never had a windshield crack so easily out of the 10 vehicles I’ve owned.

Anyone else experience this?

Should I call the dealer and see if they’ll help me with a new windshield?

Should I stop bitching and just replace it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheap, thin, no tint windshields on the RAM 3500 Tradesman coming from Mexico. A/C works great, but dash mounted I-phone, dash cameras, electronic logging devices all overheat and fail..or fall apart ANYWAY. No tint or ‘apron’ at all. Bakes me on a sunny day..evidenced by comfort while overcast skies. SHAME ON DODGE RAM! Skin cancer risk from driver’s side, and expecting SHATTERING and SHARDS during any wreck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I’ve had my new Rebel about 2 weeks and already 2 cracks in my windshield from tiny pebbles! The first one I just started moving from a red light. I’ve never had a windshield crack so easily out of the 10 vehicles I’ve owned.

Anyone else experience this?

Should I call the dealer and see if they’ll help me with a new windshield?

Should I stop bitching and just replace it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just replaced my windshield and I think it is less durable for sure. Wait till you read the quote to replace it! I had to go after market as a Mopar replacement was crazy high. If you get an experienced installer, you won’t need a lane detection calibration. Installer told me that they rarely need that but it’s a nice 350 to do.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts