Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set of 20" wheels on order, now looking at a couple options for tires. Thinking of sticking with a 275/65R20 as it is lighter and cheaper than say a 285/60R20 or a 295/55R20. Looking at the following tires and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these:
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx which looks to a nice cross between an A/T and M/T tire. Most of the reviews online are positive and I have had Cooper tires in the past with no problems just not this specific model.
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer S/T MAXX™

Falken Wildpeak AT3/W is a fairly new tire and appears to be similar to the Toyo RT Tire as it is a hybrid of an A/T & M/T tire and is fairly heavy. Pricing is a little cheaper than comparable brands/models, only problem is discount tire appears to be the only one that carries them.
WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE

The other option would be to just go with another set of the Toyo AT2's.
Kind of leaning towards the Cooper ST Max as I can get those from a local tire shop for a pretty good price.
Any feedback would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
No sir...sorry

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I replaced the stupid Pirelli tires on my FX-4 I was choosing between Goodyear Duratracs and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. I got the Mickey Thompsons and love them. If I decide I do not like the Toyos I'd buy the Mickey Thompsons again. I used them in mud, snow and everything else. They are fairly quiet, ride awesome and stick like glue. I've had my truck through a few winter storms that would leave many in the ditch. Never a problem. They are a pretty aggressive tread pattern for an A/T. They keep themselves clean quite well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I replaced the stupid Pirelli tires on my FX-4 I was choosing between Goodyear Duratracs and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. I got the Mickey Thompsons and love them. If I decide I do not like the Toyos I'd buy the Mickey Thompsons again. I used them in mud, snow and everything else. They are fairly quiet, ride awesome and stick like glue. I've had my truck through a few winter storms that would leave many in the ditch. Never a problem. They are a pretty aggressive tread pattern for an A/T. They keep themselves clean quite well.
I still can't believe that the ford's came with those Pirelli's!

G

·
Got a set of 20" wheels on order, now looking at a couple options for tires. Thinking of sticking with a 275/65R20 as it is lighter and cheaper than say a 285/60R20 or a 295/55R20. Looking at the following tires and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these:
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx which looks to a nice cross between an A/T and M/T tire. Most of the reviews online are positive and I have had Cooper tires in the past with no problems just not this specific model.

Falken Wildpeak AT3/W is a fairly new tire and appears to be similar to the Toyo RT Tire as it is a hybrid of an A/T & M/T tire and is fairly heavy. Pricing is a little cheaper than comparable brands/models, only problem is discount tire appears to be the only one that carries them.
WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE

Kind of leaning towards the Cooper ST Max as I can get those from a local tire shop for a pretty good price.
I have the Cooper ST tires on my present Ram and I'm very satisfied with them, they are the only tires still made in the USA !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same Coopers on my Avalanche, sold it for my Rebel. Very impressed with them. A little noisy and stiff but they are a heavy duty tire.

G

·
I had the same Coopers on my Avalanche, sold it for my Rebel. Very impressed with them. A little noisy and stiff but they are a heavy duty tire.
Yes, I agree they are a little noisy but after a few months they wear a little and the noise goes away.

·
Registered
426 Posts

WILDPEAK A/T3W TIRE

don't go with the ST Maxx, they are being discontinued, go with the STT Pro. Better tire more aggressive and has a lot more bite to them. Buddy has them on his jeep and he drives on snow like its pavement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have always been partial with the BFG AT's myself. Mountain and snow rated (a necessity here in the mountains of BC), have run them for over 16 years and the second these Toyo's start looking a little worn, that's what they'll be replaced with.
Or perhaps a set of Nitto Grapplers, if for any reason cause they look so freakin cool!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have always been partial with the BFG AT's myself. Mountain and snow rated (a necessity here in the mountains of BC), have run them for over 16 years and the second these Toyo's start looking a little worn, that's what they'll be replaced with.
Or perhaps a set of Nitto Grapplers, if for any reason cause they look so freakin cool!
I like the flame idea but there is no siping in that tread anywhere. It will be absolutely horrible on ice. It will look really cool upside down in the ditch. :p

I've known a few people that love the BFGs. I've always found them to be less cost but last less because they are made out of a softer compound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Perhaps. On my last set I had 40% tread left after 75,000kms...Thought that was a pretty good life for the BFG's. Could have gotten 100,000 out of them, but it was coming to winter and long drives at night with family to cabin, so I swapped em out.

I was kidding on Nitto...I love their look, unfortunately I usually choose function when it comes to rubber.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I just need some smooth riding 35" AT tires

G

·
what size are you going to go with? 17, 18 ,20?
What would you recommend? Just a note , they are picky here in Massachusetts about the heights of trucks. so maybe I will lower it the following year when I bring it in for inspection, LOL...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts