Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all rebels rated at the apx. 9k towing capacity, or is there any towing package needed to achieve this? Is the e-trailer brake just an additional accessory that does not affect towing capacity, or is that part of a towing package?

I have an apx. 5k boat, and am looking at a Rebel w/o e-brake (which is fine, since the boat trailer has surge brakes).

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
With 3.92 rear diff, max towing is about 10.1k pounds with a max payload of about 1.3k pounds.
With a standard rear, 3.21, payload remains same, but towing is reduced to just under 8k lbs.

You should be fine either way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The towing capacity of rebel is from 1800 pounds to 2400 pounds. You can add e-trailer brakes as it affects the towing capacity. It is not a part, but adding the e-brake is good for towing. You can tow a boat by rebel without e-brake but adding will give you benefits. To transport boats hiring a transport company is also a good option as it avoids the chances of damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the sticker on the door/jamb for payload. That limits what you can tow. Mine is just over 1000 lbs. You have to add up anything you put into the truck (people, gear, etc) plus the tongue weight of the trailer and stay below the payload on the sticker.
If your truck has a lot of options you might be surprised how low your payload is. I sure was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First post here. I just purchased a 2018 rebel, followed by a 6400lb dry weight travel trailer. I have read every thread on here about the rated towing capacity of our trucks. Rams website is very misleading (deliberately so im sure) regarding the subject. And when i type my VIN on camping worlds website (cant get rams vin search to load) it said my towing capacity was only 7210lbs. But when i use the same website to look up a 2wd rebel the capacity changes to 10,220lbs. I cant hardly believe that would be correct to have that much difference in 2wd vs 4wd. Having said all this i fully intend to tow the travel trailer i bought unless it just handles awful. I have a weight distribution hitch. I realize payload is more than likely the limiting factor on our trucks rather than towing, but i was just curious. And i didnt even know they made a 2wd rebel. thanks in advance for any comments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Text Font Line Design Parallel
First post here. I just purchased a 2018 rebel, followed by a 6400lb dry weight travel trailer. I have read every thread on here about the rated towing capacity of our trucks. Rams website is very misleading (deliberately so im sure) regarding the subject. And when i type my VIN on camping worlds website (cant get rams vin search to load) it said my towing capacity was only 7210lbs. But when i use the same website to look up a 2wd rebel the capacity changes to 10,220lbs. I cant hardly believe that would be correct to have that much difference in 2wd vs 4wd. Having said all this i fully intend to tow the travel trailer i bought unless it just handles awful. I have a weight distribution hitch. I realize payload is more than likely the limiting factor on our trucks rather than towing, but i was just curious. And i didnt even know they made a 2wd rebel. thanks in advance for any comments
Do you have a V6? Or ecodiesel?
Check out the chart

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah that is strange. There must be a reason. I would assume that your good for the 10,000. I wonder if there is a vin issue where yours is on record for a different truck?? You can request your truck build specs from FCA customer care via email. Just send them your vin and in a couple days you get a description.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my understanding and I would welcome any corrections. Each truck has different options and specs which cause the truck to weigh more or less depending on said options. The first thing I would do is use Ram's towing guide to look up your specific vehicle based on VIN# and not just year make model. This will tell you exactly what your trucks max payload and max towing numbers are. Now, my truck shows 1200lbs of payload and 9350lbs for towing. I think the confusion comes in here. Payload numbers are calculated with fluid levels filled, but everything else you put in, on, or remove from your truck can affect it's weight. When calculating towing capability you need to account for trailer tongue weight as payload. So in my example if I had a 9000lb trailer and 10% tongue weight, I would end up with 900lbs I need to deduct from my payload. So after the trailer is connected I would end up with 1200lbs - 900lbs = 300lbs of additional cargo which has to include myself. I weight 200lbs, so now I have an additional 100lbs of cargo/people I can carry to be at max payload.

With all that said, there is a sticker which is on the inside door jamb of your driver door. That contains a number known as gross vehicle weight or they may call it max payload on the sticker as well. I believe my sticker reports 6800lbs as my trucks maximum weight capacity. The absolute best thing you can do is to make sure all your fluids are filled and and take your truck to a scale and see what it weighs in at. Subtract your actually weight from the sticker's posted max weight and you will have your specific payload capacity for your truck. You can then do some basic calculations to see what your truck can tow with what you plan on having for payload.

Hopefully this is helpful and please let me know if any of this is incorrect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well herein lies the problem. the ram website doesnt recognize my vin when i input it just keeps askin for 17 character vin. I cant get the fca customer care email site to work either go figure, so ive been on hold with customer care for about half hour, and the lady came back and said to check owners manual. this is getting ridiculous

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think that’s really weird. Almost seems like your vin is not correct.
I don’t mean to sound like a jack a$$ but... have you triple checked that you wrote it down right? I know I mistakenly wrote a 6 instead of a G when I did mine the first time.
Fca should be able to work, I think they can figure it out with even just the last 8, they just ask for all to be sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well i called the dealer and they verified the vin is correct. They told me the tow rating should be 9350lbs. I want to believe that of course but still no explanation why the vin doesnt work on ram website.
Just out of curiosity would any of you guys care to check your vin on the camping world towing website (Towing Guide) just to see what they show. My dealer told me that despite the rebel package coming with hemi and 3.92 gear it can be deleted down to v6 and 3.21 hence the discrepancy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just checked my vin on that website. IT came back as 7210. 2018 Rebel.

I now understand the difference between payload and towing capacity - thanks for that!

Just trying to get to know my truck for sure, not supper worried that ill ever tow more than 7200 pounds lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know I said to use the Ram site but I have noticed in the past that errors do crop up from time to time. Currently, if you try to figure out the rating on the RAM towing guide for a 2018 Rebel, you cannot even choose the 4wd option. So I would say they are experiencing some technical difficulties with their site.

For what it's worth, I have a 2017 Rebel, 4wd, with the 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gears and pretty much maxed out on options (more options means more vehicle weight and less overall payload) and my numbers again are 1200lbs payload and 9350lbs of towing. I would imagine your 2018 is at least the same if not a little bit better than my 2017. I can understand wanting to know the official number.

Just curious, but have you tried logging in at the mopar owners site? I also see a towing and payload section there for my vehicle which reports the correct information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just about to say the same thing. The Ram website only lets you pick the 5.7 V8 4x2 or the 3.6 V6 4x4 and those numbers come up into the 7K range. So I’m assuming it’s info error. I have the 5.7 V8 with 3.92 gears.

So I’m betting it’s over 7K. The owners guide says that with a class iv hitch the limit is 11K.

Will check mopar site next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dislike the mopar site. It’s such a pain.

Example: My 2017 Grand Cherokee Page has a towing/payload tab that displays the official numbers, but the 2018 Rebel Vehicle Page, that tab is missing

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.