Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I recently got my Rebel. I'm trying to figure out if I can tow the WWII truck I'm restoring.

The weight of the wwii truck is 5100lbs laden and I will be using a U Haul Car hauler that weighs 2100 lbs.

Can I tow this using my Rebel comfortably? Do you have any recommendations? I will be towing from NH to PA

I have the Crew Cab/V8/8SPD/3.91 rear.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what this will do to my MPGs? haha

·
Registered
72 Posts
What I can say is I routinely haul a horse trailer that when loaded with horses etc has a total weight of about 7500#. I have not had any issues and hauling live loads which is more difficult. You do loose on fuel economy, about 1/3 more fuel used. Depends on how hilly the area is that you are hauling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I can say is I routinely haul a horse trailer that when loaded with horses etc has a total weight of about 7500#. I have not had any issues and hauling live loads which is more difficult. You do loose on fuel economy, about 1/3 more fuel used. Depends on how hilly the area is that you are hauling.
are you using weight distribution bars when you tow your horses?? I'm trying to decide if I need them or not for my 7000 camper

·
Registered
4 Posts
are you using weight distribution bars when you tow your horses?? I'm trying to decide if I need them or not for my 7000 camper
You need them. Not exclusively for weight, but for sway control.

My trailer is about your weight but 35 feet long, so sway control is critical.

Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need them. Not exclusively for weight, but for sway control.

My trailer is about your weight but 35 feet long, so sway control is critical.

Better to be safe than sorry.
My camper has built in electronic sway control. Last weekend I pulled the camper with the bars on and was all over the place, it felt like I didn't have enough weight on the back of the truck. so now I'm thinking of trying without the bars I just don't know if the bags can handle the weight.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My camper has built in electronic sway control. Last weekend I pulled the camper with the bars on and was all over the place, it felt like I didn't have enough weight on the back of the truck. so now I'm thinking of trying without the bars I just don't know if the bags can handle the weight.
Did you have a lot of stuff stowed in the camper? Maybe you just needed to move some of that weight forward, stow it a bit closer to the front.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Typically where I live when not hauling my fuel is about 15L per 100km. When hauling it goes up to about 25L per 100km. As far as struggling to pull the load I would say I have not had any difficulty yet. Where I live hiway speeds are 110km/hr.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Great info all, should help me out in the up coming camper season.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can someone please tell me what the bed weight for towing a fifth wheel is and John I know check the manual well I don't have it with me if I did I wouldn't be here asking this simple question.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The manual doesn't talk about 5th wheel limits for the 1500, only the 2500 and 3500. Ram doesn't recommend 5th wheel towing with the 1500. (I looked it up for you.)

Nothing personal, but I recommend the manual to so many people because they often don't seem familiar with the basics. If they're asking how to hook up a trailer, they might want to read that portion of the manual because towing is more than just hitch and drive. Especially with bigger loads, braking, hills, etc. Seen too many guys get themselves into trouble. Answering a single question may not be doing them a favor.

BTW, you can download the manual and have it on your computer and your smartphone. Nice thing about PDF files is that you can word search in them, don't even have to read the index if you don't want. If I had a smartphone, I'd have a copy saved there for ready use. I do have a copy on my desktop computer, which is useful as long as I'm at home...

·
Registered
91 Posts
The manual doesn't talk about 5th wheel limits for the 1500, only the 2500 and 3500. Ram doesn't recommend 5th wheel towing with the 1500. (I looked it up for you.)

Nothing personal, but I recommend the manual to so many people because they often don't seem familiar with the basics. If they're asking how to hook up a trailer, they might want to read that portion of the manual because towing is more than just hitch and drive. Especially with bigger loads, braking, hills, etc. Seen too many guys get themselves into trouble. Answering a single question may not be doing them a favor.

BTW, you can download the manual and have it on your computer and your smartphone. Nice thing about PDF files is that you can word search in them, don't even have to read the index if you don't want. If I had a smartphone, I'd have a copy saved there for ready use. I do have a copy on my desktop computer, which is useful as long as I'm at home...

John I was just giving you the gears.…lol. I have tried to look up the PDF but to no avail could I have found it to put on my phone.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If I forget the link, I just go to ramtrucks.com. Under the Owners tab there is a link to Owners and Service Manuals. That goes straight to the page I usually link. All you do is select your model year, and Ram 1500, and you can pull down every manual they offer.

But here's the link.
Ram Trucks Owners Service Manuals

·
Registered
91 Posts
See I've been trying to find it on th Canadian site an just go ogling it and end up with t much **** sites. Thanks John!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I forget the link, I just go to ramtrucks.com. Under the Owners tab there is a link to Owners and Service Manuals. That goes straight to the page I usually link. All you do is select your model year, and Ram 1500, and you can pull down every manual they offer.

But here's the link.
Ram Trucks Owners Service Manuals
Unfortunately this site only works for Americans or it just doesn't work on my phone.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
it's a web site, i doubt it's blocked in canada. try it on your comp. if you can download it there, you should be able to move it to your phone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
it's a web site, i doubt it's blocked in canada. try it on your comp. if you can download it there, you should be able to move it to your phone.
Ya I'll have to try the desktop version. The issue is to add a vehicle you have to update your profile and it's not accepting a Canadian address.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I see what you're doing.

Don't actually click on the owner's tab, you want to stay on the Ramtrucks site, not go to the Mopar owner's site.

Just hover your cursor over the Owners tab and you will see a menu under it. 2nd item in the menu is Owners & Service Manuals. Click on that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts