Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of MPG are you guys getting while towing?

I just did a 375 mile trip towing a 16' TA 1820lb trailer loaded with a 1300lb polaris rzr. Using tow haul mode I got 11.2mpg per the on board computer. Average highway speed was 70-72mph.

Im a little disappointed in the 11.2 considering this is a relatively light load compared to what the truck is rated to pull.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Travel trailer Vehicle RV Trailer Plant community
Great info, I am just getting ready to hook up my camper for the season. It's a 34' wildwood with all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gas engines just don't get good fuel mileage while towing. From my house to the lake, the highest speed limit is 60 MPH, and I'm averaging about 7 MPG pulling the boat. We leave Sunday for a week at Table Rock Lake, which is about 400 miles away, so I'll see how it does at 70, but I'm planing on stopping twice for gas.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We arrived at table rock, and over the trip frim north Dallas to the lake (just under 400 miles), I averaged 8.1 MPG calculated by hand, and 8.3 on the lie meter. The boat was full of gas (75 gallons), so it was probably near 7000 lbs with the trailer and junk, and the bed was loaded to the hilt. In fact, I'd say I may have been exceeding the payload with the tongue weight, and the loaded bed. I never exceed 70 MPH for the whole trip.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That's probably about norm for trailer loads in that weight class. Even switching to bigger trucks wouldn't help. You'll just have bigger, hungrier motors. And other 1/2 ton makes are not really much different. You can find thousands of forum posts of guys with the 5.4L in their F-150 crew cabs getting 13-16mpg avg and 6-7mpg towing. That a bit lower than most of reporting for normal driving and for towing.

The advantage with the Rebel is simple math:

Smiles per Gallon > Miles per Gallon

·
Registered
933 Posts
My first camping weekend with my Wildwood. Tongue weight 840lbs. Trailer was over 8200lbs. Towed real we'll but not many hills and only went about 100 miles at 60mph. I did the math and figure I got 6.2mpg. Only 2 ppl but the rebel has the cap on the box and coolers and food in the back. I do want to get the brake controller before doing any kind of real hills. The rebel had loads of power at slightly above sea level and I added 5 extra lbs of nitrogen to all the tires before the trip. I did put in tire change mode before hooking up the first time and just normal ride height for the trip home. I was impressed at the pulling power, but may look at sway control hitch before a longer trip.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We just got back from the return trip, and since there was really no wind either way, the MPG was almost exactly the same. I was, however, surprised at my oil temperature. It was pretty hot today (high90s) for the whole trip, and the oil temperature ran at 250 in the Ozarks, but I was surprised to see it maintain a steady 240 through Oklahoma and Texas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I towed my 24' camper trailer with it total weigh of 12 560 lbs (truck+camper trailer and all the stuff and occupant inside) !

275 km to go there ! Average of 29l/100 km
275 km came back ! Average of 27l/100km

Likes gas but plenty of power,fun to drive and feel secure to drive !

·
Read Only
27 Posts
I am helping my dad move this weekend and will be towing his 16 foot flatbed. I am guessing total weight will be around 4K lbs. I'm hoping I can get 12mpg as I usually run about 17.2 mixed highway and town. This will be my first long haul so a bit excited but nervous about the gas bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pulling my 22' bay boat and getting 10.2. Actually the same as the 2017 F150 I traded in, but the F150 (5.0) kept dropping back to 3rd gear on overpasses and the Ram with the 392 pulls it like a boss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.