Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an bit of info, for those that don't know. When in 4WD Lock if you only press the Traction Control button once it does not fully turn it off, it partially does, it will turn the Rev limiting off when it slips, but will still break for you. After putting your truck in 4WD Lock, come to a stop, or of stopped already, Press and Hold the button for approx 15secs. You will then see a message on your Cluster saying that Traction Control Off(ESC Off I believe is what it says don't remember). Your traction control will now be fully disengaged. When in 4WD Low, it will automatically turn traction control off.

Just a tie bit of info for those who don't know, or didn't know already.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an bit of info, for those that don't know. When in 4WD Lock if you only press the Traction Control button once it does not fully turn it off, it partially does, it will turn the Rev limiting off when it slips, but will still break for you. After putting your truck in 4WD Lock, come to a stop, or of stopped already, Press and Hold the button for approx 15secs. You will then see a message on your Cluster saying that Traction Control Off(ESC Off I believe is what it says don't remember). Your traction control will now be fully disengaged. When in 4WD Low, it will automatically turn traction control off.

Just a tie bit of info for those who don't know, or didn't know already.

Cheers
Great info! Thank you for posting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
That makes sense. I will never take my truck off road, so that hadn't occurred to me. I just need it to yank our boat out of the water, on a dirt ramp at low tide. I figure traction control will be a plus for that task.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That makes sense. I will never take my truck off road, so that hadn't occurred to me. I just need it to yank our boat out of the water, on a dirt ramp at low tide. I figure traction control will be a plus for that task.
I wouldn't count on it. I've been stuck on flat slippery surfaces in more than one all wheel/four wheel drive car because of 'traction control' not letting the wheels spin at all so I couldn't generate any momentum to get to a drier spot where there was traction.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Traction control in mud can be a terrible thing. Last year, when we had unreal amounts of rain through the spring, I was at a buddy of mines land, which is all red clay. I was coming up a steep incline, and the tires started spinning. I had plenty of momentum to make it up, right up until that stupid traction control killed me, and I went sliding backwards down the hill. I had remember the trick described in the OP, so I turned it off, and had little problem getting through. It actually almost caused me to get stuck. It's really dumb that they put so many nannies in a truck that's meant to off-road.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wish I saw this thread yesterday. Took the truck up the beach today for the first longish beach ride and while I was cruising the traction control light would go on and off accompanied by a slight thunk. While driving I pushed the off button on the center stack traction control and got the traction control picture with OFF below it BUT as I was driving the traction control light just above the OFF light would still blink on and off. I will have to try the OP's method and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is some good info, took my rebel out to the dunes and it wouldn't go up a big sand hill but other trucks went up like nothing. I only pressed the traction control button didn't hold it. I'll be going back next month

·
Registered
157 Posts
thank you for the information. i know most vehicles turn off traction control when you go to that lock or mud mode or something. i didnt know it would turn back on somewhat if you press the button, interesting. guess i have to go find some mud to play in

·
Registered
118 Posts
Finally got back up the beach today and tried this out. Took a bit less than 15 seconds for the "ESC OFF" warning to come up in the center section of the cluster. Best of all the thunk was now gone. As I mentioned above the last time when I just hit the ESC button and the ESC off was displayed as a warning light this time the same icon came on but I got a message in the center section stating it was off also. In addition the traction control light above the ESC off icon that was coming on with the accompanying thunk last time, were both were absent this trip. Much nicer so thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is some good info, took my rebel out to the dunes and it wouldn't go up a big sand hill but other trucks went up like nothing. I only pressed the traction control button didn't hold it. I'll be going back next month
Were your tire pressures similar to the other guys out there? Have you been back out and how did it go?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts