Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, I traded in my RAM Rebel. I really loved this truck. I would still recommend 4th gens to anyone considering a RAM - just avoid the air ride. Or at least be willing/understand not everyone gets a none issue system in their truck. When my system worked the ride was great! and it performed more adequately for my style of off-roading. It was also handy when hooking up trailers. In short GREAT truck! minus the air ride system in mine. I wish everyone the best of luck with their 4th gen rebels and 5th gens with air ride.

My air suspension had a consistent drooping issue on the drivers front corner. I had also had the dreaded "lean" to the drivers side as well. Which I thought was fixed but continued to reappear. The lean started occurring almost the moment I drove it off the lot. RAM and the dealers I worked did manager to correct the lean. However that only turned out to be a temporary fix. After the dealer corrected the lean that was when the front droop started occurring. Which would for whatever reason cause the truck to lean to drivers side once the dealer would fix the droop. Most of the time they fixed the lean by resetting the air spring parameters. Which according to the dealers somehow automatically reset or clear themselves......

RAM customer was fantastic and easy to work with to have these issues fixed. In total I had this truck into the dealer 5x for the "lean". It was also taken in 3x more for the "drooping" front end. I never paid a dime to have these issues fixed. However, none of the fixes lasted longer than approx 2-3 months before it do one or the other again. I cannot stress this enough. the RAM corporate customer service was amazing! I highly recommend anyone having an issue like this to open a case prior to going to the dealer!!!!!!

The dealer experiences are specifically referring to air suspension issues. not service.

Dealer #1 experience. unfortunately the dealer I purchased the truck from was not great overall. The first 2x I brought the truck they willingly assisted to get the truck fixed. By the 3rd time they were getting annoyed I kept bringing it to them - which they forgot to check the alignment after working on the suspension when trying to fix the lean. I brought the truck back so they could fix the alignment - they did so free of charge with a lot of push back. Except they did a poor job leaving the truck slightly out of alignment - which they refused to fix. Then requested I to stop bringing the truck to them for the air suspensions issues.

Dealer #2 experience. This dealer was much better at diagnosing the air suspension issues . For the most part the end results were the same as dealer 1s. The last time the issue occurred I took it here. They were unable to find a code or "out of spec measurement". However, the dealer did agree the truck was not behaving correctly.

In short the air suspension system works great when its working properly. IMHO it does have some design flaws. The most frustrating aspect of the air suspension IS NO ONE SEEMS TO TRULY UNDERSTAND HOW IT OPERATES! especially when it comes to the nuances. I am sure on many occasions there were times I thought it was having an issue when in reality it was just doing what it was supposed to. BUT nobody I worked with or called at RAM could explain why or how the air suspension determines to do what it does when it does. I probably could have lemon lawed this truck but did not have the energy to do so.

Feel free to reach out to me with questions regarding my experiences. I kept all my paper work from the dealers.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've been threw the same thing and your right nobody understands how the air ride functions hell the dealerships yes multiple, all said if i took the air ride out it would cost more than the truck is worth and it would put the truck in limp mode and it would be completely undriveable. well after a bunch of research and a little more than 2k later got the suspension swapped to coil overs and I removed all traces of the air ride with alfaobd, even before I removed all the codes for the air ride truck was still completely driveable. Just goes to show what they actually know about the system and the trucks in general really

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been threw the same thing and your right nobody understands how the air ride functions hell the dealerships yes multiple, all said if i took the air ride out it would cost more than the truck is worth and it would put the truck in limp mode and it would be completely undriveable. well after a bunch of research and a little more than 2k later got the suspension swapped to coil overs and I removed all traces of the air ride with alfaobd, even before I removed all the codes for the air ride truck was still completely driveable. Just goes to show what they actually know about the system and the trucks in general really
I considered rip and replacing the air ride. I just could not bring myself to do it. Even though that is really what I wanted - a Rebel with no air ride.

It certainly is frustrating to say the least. I really tried to be patient with the dealers because RAM was being so helpful. I honestly think RAM would have replaced or provided me with trade in assistance if I had kept reporting the issues. The amount of time required without a vehicle was messing with work/daily schedules. The second dealer I was working with was pretty good at answering my questions - but the advisers I worked with still could not articulate how the system works if asked specific questions - and if they were able to explain why the truck did what it did it was ALWAYS a different type of system procedure I'd never heard of. As for the lean the second dealer did admit they have been seeing trucks with the air ride leaning to the drivers side (mostly rebels) but truly haven't isolated why. Granted that was one dealers adviser saying that not a RAM rep. Just for the record I live in Virginia. It does get cold here but most of the time issues occurred in 40f + temps.

Just an FYI in case anyone is looking to get rid of their air ride trucks. If you purchased the extended MOPAR warranties you can cancel them and receive the difference in value (via check) of the portion of the warranties you have not used. Just ask the finance office to email you the "Request for cancellation of products" form and provide them with following documentation. 1) filled out form 2) official mileage statement. this is usually provide if the vehicle is traded. 3) proof of pay off and or maybe the title of you own it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly, I traded in my RAM Rebel. I really loved this truck. I would still recommend 4th gens to anyone considering a RAM - just avoid the air ride. Or at least be willing/understand not everyone gets a none issue system in their truck. When my system worked the ride was great! and it performed more adequately for my style of off-roading. It was also handy when hooking up trailers. In short GREAT truck! minus the air ride system in mine. I wish everyone the best of luck with their 4th gen rebels and 5th gens with air ride.

My air suspension had a consistent drooping issue on the drivers front corner. I had also had the dreaded "lean" to the drivers side as well. Which I thought was fixed but continued to reappear. The lean started occurring almost the moment I drove it off the lot. RAM and the dealers I worked did manager to correct the lean. However that only turned out to be a temporary fix. After the dealer corrected the lean that was when the front droop started occurring. Which would for whatever reason cause the truck to lean to drivers side once the dealer would fix the droop. Most of the time they fixed the lean by resetting the air spring parameters. Which according to the dealers somehow automatically reset or clear themselves......

RAM customer was fantastic and easy to work with to have these issues fixed. In total I had this truck into the dealer 5x for the "lean". It was also taken in 3x more for the "drooping" front end. I never paid a dime to have these issues fixed. However, none of the fixes lasted longer than approx 2-3 months before it do one or the other again. I cannot stress this enough. the RAM corporate customer service was amazing! I highly recommend anyone having an issue like this to open a case prior to going to the dealer!!!!!!

The dealer experiences are specifically referring to air suspension issues. not service.
Dealer #1 experience. unfortunately the dealer I purchased the truck from was not great overall. The first 2x I brought the truck they willingly assisted to get the truck fixed. By the 3rd time they were getting annoyed I kept bringing it to them - which they forgot to check the alignment after working on the suspension when trying to fix the lean. I brought the truck back so they could fix the alignment - they did so free of charge with a lot of push back. Except they did a poor job leaving the truck slightly out of alignment - which they refused to fix. Then requested I to stop bringing the truck to them for the air suspensions issues.

Dealer #2 experience. This dealer was much better at diagnosing the air suspension issues . For the most part the end results were the same as dealer 1s. The last time the issue occurred I took it here. They were unable to find a code or "out of spec measurement". However, the dealer did agree the truck was not behaving correctly.

In short the air suspension system works great when its working properly. IMHO it does have some design flaws. The most frustrating aspect of the air suspension IS NO ONE SEEMS TO TRULY UNDERSTAND HOW IT OPERATES! especially when it comes to the nuances. I am sure on many occasions there were times I thought it was having an issue when in reality it was just doing what it was supposed to. BUT nobody I worked with or called at RAM could explain why or how the air suspension determines to do what it does when it does. I probably could have lemon lawed this truck but did not have the energy to do so.

Feel free to reach out to me with questions regarding my experiences. I kept all my paper work from the dealers.
yes this is discouraging, Last April 2020 I took out a Loan for a Rebel, Love the Truck Bl with Blk/Red interior it has so many luxuries , Air suspension just went in December, they sent me away saying they couldn't find the error bring it back if it happens again, well cpl days later my driver front tire was down to the frame, my rear end raised....God Grief, off to dodge again, on my way there the truck was raising and lowering while i was driving, then showed error code on my dash, UGH.....They fix the level and changed a fuse then they said its corrected ,more money down the drain because the very next day i came out saw the drivers side is lower, passenger side raised, here i am again x3 trip to dodge in 2 weeks . not only is this a money pit it is a safety issue especially as it lowered down to my frame wheel well. The guys here are baffled by the way the truck is acting and I have to say I don't have much confidence they fully understand , so how the heck am i going to get this fixed???omg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts