Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a PCM and tuner yet on their Rebel? I am thinking of the Diablo Sport PCM kit with the i2 programmer. The install looks easy enough, and can be swapped back when going in for dealer service. If anyone has direct experience with these in a 5.7l hemi, please tell me anything about it.

Reactions: JPartridgekk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Has anyone installed a PCM and tuner yet on their Rebel? I am thinking of the Diablo Sport PCM kit with the i2 programmer. The install looks easy enough, and can be swapped back when going in for dealer service. If anyone has direct experience with these in a 5.7l hemi, please tell me anything about it.
I'm interested in getting that set up, but I think the dealership will know if you have swapped your PCM. Your millage shows up on the dash, and the PCM. So when you go to the dealership if something went wrong and they noticed your stock PCM says 5,000, and your dash says 10,000. They are going to know something is up. So basically any tuner will have you saying bye bye to your warranty. I know one guy on the other rebel forum has done it, and he says his truck responds a lot nicer though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
don't swap the pcm . just untune the truck when you bring it into the dealer. I have the modified pcm , tuner and hemifever tune on my truck using the 89 tune and it really brought it to life. I also disabled mds . It was a 10 minute process to swap the pcm and the new i2 tuner is pretty snappy.. about 20 minutes total to swap the pcm and tune the truck.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks woolfman72.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Swapping the PCMs should not change your mileage. It is stored in the instrument cluster. The last two cars I had were both tuned with spare ECUs and the mileage never changed when switching between the two for dealership trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks unbreakable that what I wanted to hear that the warranty should be intact by changing before dealer trips.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Swapping the PCMs should not change your mileage. It is stored in the instrument cluster. The last two cars I had were both tuned with spare ECUs and the mileage never changed when switching between the two for dealership trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Your millage is stored in the PCM, and gauge cluster separately. The gauge cluster will show the original millage and the new PCM will show the mileage you put on after. That is why when you buy a PCM from Diablo they ask for your VIN and Millage so they can match the one on the truck. If you get a tuner your best bet is to do what Woolfman does and restore it to factory settings when taking it in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My understanding is that with the 2015 and 2016 rams you must have your PCM updated or swapped. Im working on finding the cheapest dealer now. So far the combo is looking like 1k. 40 hp for 1k... not sure im ready to do it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
don't swap the pcm . just untune the truck when you bring it into the dealer. I have the modified pcm , tuner and hemifever tune on my truck using the 89 tune and it really brought it to life. I also disabled mds . It was a 10 minute process to swap the pcm and the new i2 tuner is pretty snappy.. about 20 minutes total to swap the pcm and tune the truck.

Diablosport?

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes you either have to send them your pcm to have them unlock it or buy one already unlocked
Ok.. yeah that was the information i got on the deal too. Looks like its going to cost between 900-1000 to make it happen. I would rather buy a separate PCM than have mine reprogrammed for the simple fact that i dont want to void my warranty. Being able to change them out before a service appeals to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok.. yeah that was the information i got on the deal too. Looks like its going to cost between 900-1000 to make it happen. I would rather buy a separate PCM than have mine reprogrammed for the simple fact that i dont want to void my warranty. Being able to change them out before a service appeals to me.
my main thing was having to send in the pcm and then have the truck down till you get it back. So i got bought the unlocked pcm . But i have no plans on swapping them when i take my truck to the dealer. I will untune my truck and that is it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was informed from Diablo that you don't have to swap back your factory PCM before service but to restore stock tune in the modified PCM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts