Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Wanted to start a build thread for my new Rebel, going on 3 weeks old. I'll post updates with each modification I do big or small and will be hanging around the site on a regular basis to chit chat with everyone and answer any questions as best I can!

2017 RAM Rebel - Brilliant Crystal Black Pearl
Extras: Loaded, minus park assist due to how annoying it is to drive around the bush with those sensors!
Limited Slip rear diff.
Primary use: Daily Driver Work Truck, tools and material hauling ect. - 70%
Secondary use: 4x4ing in the backraods and trails of British Columbia, Mudding, Camping, Road Trips. - 30%

That's all the relevant details I can think of for now, let me know if there's something else you want to know!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saturday I installed the DeeZee tail gate assist! It was a simple matter and only took about 40 minutes and that was with trying to film some parts of the install for others to see. I have not collected the files and looked at them yet but if anyone wants me to put up some footage I will certainly do so, but the whole deal is pretty straightforward really.

For those who do not know what it is, it simply is a strut that slows the opening of the tailgate. Useful for those who find tailgates a little heavy to operate, or for children who might open it and whack themselves with the gate!
Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Vehicle door Automotive lighting

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I blacked out the silver skid-plate under the grille using Rust-Oleum FlexiDip (Similar to PlastiDip) I think it came out great and in person you can not even tell a difference in the FlexiDip and the powdercoatr finish of the bumper. Time will tell how this product holds up compared to PlastiDip but in the end, if I get attached to the blacked out look I will probably remove the whole thing and get it properly coated (powdercoat or some sort of liner). For now I think it looks 100% better and is easy to touch up the underside when it gets scrapes.

BEFORE
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

AFTER
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

Reactions: 8732cuts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I forget!
Last week I had the dealer add 2 things; Side steps and a spray-in bed liner. I fully expected them to use some kind of knock off brand of spray-in but I was happy to see a Line-X sticker when I retrieved my vehicle Friday morning. Not as happy that they stuck it on my window! GRR
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle door Car

Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Car

Vehicle Car Floor Pickup truck Tire

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last week I added my Decked Storage I have been waiting for. I think in retrospect the RAMBox's would have served me just as well without loosing bed space, but these are also pretty awesome and I can fit a lot of gear in them.
Games Technology Electronic device Recreation

For those interested in this product for the Rebel or any 1500 5'7" bed it is the Decked DR3 model. It fits really well but FYI there is still about a 3/4" gap around all the edges of it so if you were to throw loose hardware in the bed like screws or bolts/nuts they could fall down and under the system and that's no-hands-land as in you are not getting it out from under without some dismantling. Other than that the system is supposed to still support up to 2k lbs on the Deck (more than our truck is rated to carry anyhow) and the drawers are good for 200 lbs each and still function as intended. Id say the system is about 100 lbs fully built as I was easily able to lift and install the 2 halves, without the drawers, solo and the drawers them selves are pretty light.

There is also about 2.5 inches from the rear Deck edge to the actual tailgate so if you have something slim you always carry around it might still slip in between (Picture below)
Architecture Floor Concrete Metal

·
Registered
277 Posts
The truck is looking great! I also had the LineX spray in bed liner done to my truck and the put the same sticker on my rear window...... Must be a LineX dealer thing.....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I guess if you have the time and tools it's best to remove it all, can't be that hard, few bolts here and there, a lot of plastic clips and should come right off.... The old saying, if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The truck is looking great! I also had the LineX spray in bed liner done to my truck and the put the same sticker on my rear window...... Must be a LineX dealer thing.....
Thanks Fletch!
Yeah its a installer thing to put the sticker unless you remember to ask them not to. No biggie... I just broke my rear window so now there will be no sticker LOL.

I like your steps. More aggressive looking than the mopar ones I am running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
like the skid plate did you take it off to paint or mask it off?
Biggundog, yeah as Zim said I masked it to spray it, I did not worry about the tow hooks and just sprayed over them to make the blacks match but I did do a little taping to the plastic around that opening. So far the product I used, Rustoleum FlexiDip, has held up to the road, weather and the gravel logging roads I travel on a lot. Time will tell, but atleast its easy to redo any time if it starts to get roughed up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks Fletch!
Yeah its a installer thing to put the sticker unless you remember to ask them not to. No biggie... I just broke my rear window so now there will be no sticker LOL.

I like your steps. More aggressive looking than the mopar ones I am running.
Thanks Warbad! I got a great price on them at Autoanything.com.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Biggundog, yeah as Zim said I masked it to spray it, I did not worry about the tow hooks and just sprayed over them to make the blacks match but I did do a little taping to the plastic around that opening. So far the product I used, Rustoleum FlexiDip, has held up to the road, weather and the gravel logging roads I travel on a lot. Time will tell, but atleast its easy to redo any time if it starts to get roughed up.
thanks it looks great

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well as I was telling Fletch above I busted my rear window the other day, can not get it fixed until Monday. Long story short, I was dumb and didn't secure something in the back, was fine at first but you can never trust what traffic will do and a sudden move was the end of my window!

So what better time to show off my new tiedowns I installed!

I picked these up at a local store. They are Snap-lock brand, a common tie-down strap system used in many commercial vehicles. I needed some new tie-down points because the Decked system uses up your beds' ones. The mounts were a pain to install up as high as I wanted/needed them to be. The ones at front were easier because my hands are skinny enough to operate my ratchet between the bed and cab but still tricky. The rear ones I ended up having to remove my wheels and drop down the fender plastic just to barely reach up inside the sidewall for the hardware.

What I like about these is the different ways I can secure things. The main attachment I use (now that I have learned my lesson) is the ring for securing with rope or straps with hooks. Because they are snap-lock basically any commercial ratchet strap or device will snap in perfectly!
Furniture Metal
Silver Room Metal Black-and-white Still life photography
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Floor Minivan

RIP Window :(

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Ah man sorry to hear. Few years ago I was moving employ plastic trash cans from one place to another, didn't think much of it, when one flew out of the bed while I was doing 50 mph! Luckily no one was hurt and no accident, the car behind did have to power brake and do some fancy maneuvers avoiding the said can. Since than, everything gets secured. Tight. And I always carry tie down straps now.

Love the new latches, I'd like to install them mysel as well

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.