Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are after owning the Rebel. Still loving it? Living up to your expectations? Buyers remorse? Likes/dislikes etc

Lets hear it....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well I cant say I like having a truck payment after not having one for 2 years but I love it. Every time I look out my window and seeing it sitting in the sun it makes me want to take a lengthy road trip. Its a smooth ride and so much fun to take off road or cruise around the neighborhood. The looks I get from people rubber necking sure helps the ego. :D Haven't ever bought a brand new vehicle so it makes it even more special.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The truck as a whole, I love it.

The positive: Still getting use to the cosmetic look of the ram box but I find it quite useful. I just don't like the glove box look on the side of the bed...... Love the interior. Very comfortable and the visual is great. Ram did an awesome job designing the interior. The ride is great and I mean great! I've had 3 new trucks and numerous trucks with aftermarket suspensions and have never had a ride as great as this one. Can't say enough about the air ride suspension. The fuel mileage is actually better than I expected. The bed divider / extender is great and it even locks. Love the ride, love the stance of the truck, love the looks of the truck and just overall love the truck.

The negative: Not happy about the spare being a different size and brand than what actually comes on the truck. Had factory towing mirrors put on and I no longer have the power fold in option (thought the dealer put the wrong mirrors on but I did some research and towing mirrors are manual fold in). My satellite radio loses its signal a lot and I mean a lot. I've had the signal refreshed and it hasn't helped (had the same radio in my 2012 Ram 1500 and didn't lose signal like this). Don't like the dial shifter. My last truck had a small T handle shifter which I prefer over a "radio dial" shifter.

My suggestions: Proper size spare, a real shifter and a slightly taller stance. If Ram combined the Rebel and the Power Wagon they would have one heck of a truck. Although I do like the Rebel as is, if it was just a tad beefier and a little bit taller I think it would be a complete package. I would hate to see the price of the two trucks combined though.....

·
Registered
426 Posts
The truck as a whole, I love it.

The positive: Still getting use to the cosmetic look of the ram box but I find it quite useful. I just don't like the glove box look on the side of the bed...... Love the interior. Very comfortable and the visual is great. Ram did an awesome job designing the interior. The ride is great and I mean great! I've had 3 new trucks and numerous trucks with aftermarket suspensions and have never had a ride as great as this one. Can't say enough about the air ride suspension. The fuel mileage is actually better than I expected. The bed divider / extender is great and it even locks. Love the ride, love the stance of the truck, love the looks of the truck and just overall love the truck.

The negative: Not happy about the spare being a different size and brand than what actually comes on the truck. Had factory towing mirrors put on and I no longer have the power fold in option (thought the dealer put the wrong mirrors on but I did some research and towing mirrors are manual fold in). My satellite radio loses its signal a lot and I mean a lot. I've had the signal refreshed and it hasn't helped (had the same radio in my 2012 Ram 1500 and didn't lose signal like this). Don't like the dial shifter. My last truck had a small T handle shifter which I prefer over a "radio dial" shifter.

My suggestions: Proper size spare, a real shifter and a slightly taller stance. If Ram combined the Rebel and the Power Wagon they would have one heck of a truck. Although I do like the Rebel as is, if it was just a tad beefier and a little bit taller I think it would be a complete package. I would hate to see the price of the two trucks combined though.....
Was there enough room for the full size tire for a spare? It seemed like it would be a tight fit. I may still have to remove mine for the exhaust kit I want and its not even full sized.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was there enough room for the full size tire for a spare? It seemed like it would be a tight fit. I may still have to remove mine for the exhaust kit I want and its not even full sized.
The spare is a 265 which is a 31.6" tire and the Toyo's are 285 which is a 32.7" tire. So the actual size difference is 1.1"s. I looked under the truck and the exhaust is close and I'm not 100% sure if the 285 has enough room under the truck without the exhaust or the heat from the exhaust interfering with it. I'm actually considering leaving the 265 spare underneath and purchasing a 285 with another steel wheel for a spare to carry in the bed of the truck when I tow.

I started a spare tire topic asking if anyone has put a 285 spare underneath and no replies yet as to anyone actually doing it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like RedRebel, I can't say I enjoy a "new truck" payment. It's my first new car. Always use to buy certified used.
Aside from that coming from a 2014 Ram Sport, there are somethings I miss.
2014 center console was sturdier when you lean hard on it with your elbow. Rebel is flimsy.
2014 the business card holder was nice. The Rebel has that iPad stand :confused:
2014 Sport average MPG 15.1. 2015 Rebel average 13.3
2014 had a much better quality backup cam

Do I still love the Rebel? YES!
The mustache grill still hasn't fully grown on me but everyone else loves it.
I like the fact that the columns in the rear window are thinner
I don't have to get anything after market (except dee zee tailgate assist)
Love the air ride. Love the two tone red/black
Love the zero use of chrome in the cabin. The chrome reflected the sun in your eyes from around 11am to 4pm
RAMBOX = AMAZING. I think it'll be hard for me to ever switch to another manufacturer because of the ram box.
I wish it came with side steps o_O
My next purchase.

I absolutely dislike the am/fm antenna. I do listen to radio but my Accord & Mazda3 no longer use an antenna that sticks out. Not sure why dodge refuse to eliminate it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Like RedRebel, I can't say I enjoy a "new truck" payment. It's my first new car. Always use to buy certified used.
Aside from that coming from a 2014 Ram Sport, there are somethings I miss.
2014 center console was sturdier when you lean hard on it with your elbow. Rebel is flimsy.
2014 the business card holder was nice. The Rebel has that iPad stand :confused:
2014 Sport average MPG 15.1. 2015 Rebel average 13.3
2014 had a much better quality backup cam

Do I still love the Rebel? YES!
The mustache grill still hasn't fully grown on me but everyone else loves it.
I like the fact that the columns in the rear window are thinner
I don't have to get anything after market (except dee zee tailgate assist)
Love the air ride. Love the two tone red/black
Love the zero use of chrome in the cabin. The chrome reflected the sun in your eyes from around 11am to 4pm
RAMBOX = AMAZING. I think it'll be hard for me to ever switch to another manufacturer because of the ram box.
I wish it came with side steps o_O
My next purchase.

I absolutely dislike the am/fm antenna. I do listen to radio but my Accord & Mazda3 no longer use an antenna that sticks out. Not sure why dodge refuse to eliminate it.
You're still having such low gas mileage? where do you live? how do you drive? I'm averaging 16.7 in central Canada with a good mix of in town and highway driving.
I also don't mind the backup cam but I've also never had one so my opinion doesn't have as many factors as yours.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're still having such low gas mileage? where do you live? how do you drive? I'm averaging 16.7 in central Canada with a good mix of in town and highway driving.
I also don't mind the backup cam but I've also never had one so my opinion doesn't have as many factors as yours.
South Florida. Same driving I did with my 2014 sport. Daily commute is about 50 miles daily.
In the past week on city I cruise control 45/55. Highway cc 70/75
My real calculated average is 13.8. EVIC says 15.
I never trust EVIC last truck it was always around 18/19.

·
Registered
426 Posts
South Florida. Same driving I did with my 2014 sport. Daily commute is about 50 miles daily.
Interesting...Amazing that it changed so much.

·
Registered
77 Posts

I'm in the same MPG range as you and I think our low sea level and heavy humid air makes the difference. I'm in Houston so about the same latitude. No one I know in Houston has gotten close to their MPG ratings on ANY make and model they've had. It's just something we have to live with.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm in the same MPG range as you and I think our low sea level and heavy humid air makes the difference. I'm in Houston so about the same latitude. No one I know in Houston has gotten close to their MPG ratings on ANY make and model they've had. It's just something we have to live with.
When I was living in Dallas Texas I was using more fuel because it too is below sea level and brutal humid at times. Where I live now is right at sea level or slightly lower. And has dry crisp air most of the year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are after owning the Rebel. Still loving it? Living up to your expectations? Buyers remorse? Likes/dislikes etc

Lets hear it....
Traded it for my GMC Yukon. It definitely does not have the turning radius or smooth ride that the Yukon had- But it is an awesome truck. Love the interior and features. Love the Hemi torque. Not sure about this electronic trans though. It seems to downshift to often when going down hills and steep grades. Seems like it is always one gear lower than it should be. I get way more looks and stares in it than I get in my Corvette. One Harley guy almost dumped his bike coming at me trying to get a closer look. Makes for a lot of conversation in the Lowes and Home Depot parking lots. Overall I am enjoying the Rebel.

Jim In PA

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have mixed feelings.... For one, I absolutely loved my "ex"! She was a 2011 2500 crew w/6.7 diesel. She could handle anything you threw in front of her, but the damn girl liked to drink (avg 11mpg). With that my wife and I purchased a new house and I now have to commute, my daily commute was raised 55 miles.

I contemplated on getting the 1500 Eco-diesel, but the lag of the engine and the "regular" appearance steered me away.

I chose the Rebel because of it differences in appearance, mileage and lore of being a "rebel".

Opinion - Pros
- Unique look, mileage during my commute (avg 15.7mpg), sound system is good (my kids like the sub woofer), comfortable ride, initial purchase pricing, Hemi power, and interior styling.

Opinion - Cons
- satellite radio does lose signal, wanted the RamBox, off-road setting should be set to go up to 30ish mph, shifter knob is still awkward, aftermarket equipment not yet on market (example: bull bar), and box length is slightly shorter than accustomed to.

Opinion - Undecided/Un-tested
- pulling power... All I've ever owned before were 3/4 and 1 ton diesels.
- No CD player!! When moving stuff from the "ex" to the Rebel I asked salesman "where's the CD player slot". He chuckled and said Its an option not in this pickup...
- Toyo Tires.... I hope they last.

I'm not in love with my Rebel as of yet, but we're still dating (currently 1,7xx miles together).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have mixed feelings.... For one, I absolutely loved my "ex"! She was a 2011 2500 crew w/6.7 diesel. She could handle anything you threw in front of her, but the damn girl liked to drink (avg 11mpg). With that my wife and I purchased a new house and I now have to commute, my daily commute was raised 55 miles.

I contemplated on getting the 1500 Eco-diesel, but the lag of the engine and the "regular" appearance steered me away.

I chose the Rebel because of it differences in appearance, mileage and lore of being a "rebel".

Opinion - Pros
- Unique look, mileage during my commute (avg 15.7mpg), sound system is good (my kids like the sub woofer), comfortable ride, initial purchase pricing, Hemi power, and interior styling.

Opinion - Cons
- satellite radio does lose signal, wanted the RamBox, off-road setting should be set to go up to 30ish mph, shifter knob is still awkward, aftermarket equipment not yet on market (example: bull bar), and box length is slightly shorter than accustomed to.

Opinion - Undecided/Un-tested
- pulling power... All I've ever owned before were 3/4 and 1 ton diesels.
- No CD player!! When moving stuff from the "ex" to the Rebel I asked salesman "where's the CD player slot". He chuckled and said Its an option not in this pickup...
- Toyo Tires.... I hope they last.

I'm not in love with my Rebel as of yet, but we're still dating (currently 1,7xx miles together).
So...I'm pretty sure the CD player is standard on EVERY Ram. My last one was awkward. So it is in the large lower bin of the center console loaded vertically. Single disc CD player. I could be wrong, but I think the sales guy is an idiot.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
No CD player in mine, either, and it's not missed. I long ago ripped all my CDs to MP3s. All my favorites are on a thumb drive that's now permanently in my USB port.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts