Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really considering a Rebel and I'm knew to the forum. I'm looking for honest opinions and dislikes about the vehicle. Obviously there is always room for improvement for every vehicle; however, I want to know what the owners think. Also, are there any great video reviews on YouTube?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Love the truck for the most part, however there are a few things I would change.. for instance, my charger has the option for the mirrors to automatically tilt down so I can see curbs, truck does not.

Truck has the capability to have cooled seats, but doesn't. Also, the truck does not have front bumper parking sensors... these are small things however considering the price, these should be included!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love this truck! BUT......there are a few things I'd change.

- Add telescoping pedals (to allow adjustments to gas and brake pedals for height)
- Add factory HID headlight option (sticker on my truck was 55 grande and came with halogen headlights that suck)
- Add front parking sensors
- Add a factory switch panel inside for adding lights (Raptor comes with it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mirror tilt, auto wipers and front parking. I had these on Laramie which were great features that would not significantly raise the cost. In my mind no brainers.

Wishlist item would be:

leather seats
Power point in the rear of Rambox
More control over air suspension
4x4 high - is there a reason this is missing from the Rebel?
Maybe a terrain response system showing the traction of each wheel ? If nothing else it will look cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really considering a Rebel and I'm knew to the forum. I'm looking for honest opinions and dislikes about the vehicle. Obviously there is always room for improvement for every vehicle; however, I want to know what the owners think. Also, are there any great video reviews on YouTube?
Mirror tilt, auto wipers and front parking. I had these on Laramie which were great features that would not significantly raise the cost. In my mind no brainers.

Wishlist item would be:

leather seats
Maybe a terrain response system showing the traction of each wheel ? If nothing else it will look cool.

Interesting points. Those are some things I didn't consider. Thanks for the response. I've been looking for a practical review of the Rebel and seeing it being put through its paces. So far, it seems most journalists aren't giving me what I want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more here in favor of front parking sensors! I back into spots with help of the rear sensors and camera more often than not. Way easier.

Also, wish the awesome cellphone holder that's down low in the center console was replicated higher on the dash so that phone was more easily viewed when using the Waze app.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The little cubby above the radio would have been perfect for holding a cell phone at eye level if they would have made the design just a little different.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't care about any of the luxury stuff. It's nice to have, but not important to me.
I'd like to see larger tires (37"-40") and fenders for them, a more aggressive stance as default.
More range in the air suspension. I'd like to be able to gain at least 3 inches if not more in OR mode over normal when I need it for clearance. 1" is kinda pathetic when you think about it.
Light switch panel would be great.
Brighter lights all around, stock.
More color options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of great knowledge, thanks everyone! I've been looking at some video reviews on YouTube for the Rebel but I can't seem to find one with all the info I'm looking for. The videos from the guys at TFL seem a bit scripted and not really practical. Have any of you guys heard of Adventure Vehicle Reviews? They seem to be very detailed and put vehicles through some pretty significant scenarios. I guess they are preparing to review the 2017 Rebel with in the next few months. If you haven't heard of them, check out their review of the power wagon

·
Registered
59 Posts

Wishlist item would be:

leather seats

What do you mean no 4x4 High? If you're talking about the 4wheel drive it does have 4x4 High it shows as 4WD Lock on the selector though. I wish it had 4WD Auto though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Correct, I mean auto. Is there a reason some Rams have this and Rebel does not?
I believe it is due to the limited slip differential and the gear ratio that they have as well as the ratio in the transfer case if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Correct, I mean auto. Is there a reason some Rams have this and Rebel does not?
The more "rugged" trims get the 44-45 transfer case vs the 44-44 transfer case in the sports/Laramies/etc. The 44-44 is more of an on demand 4x4 which is convenient for a highway driving commuter truck, where the 44-45 is a little better for off-roading and off the beaten path driving as it's what some people would say is a "true lock" vs an electronic clutch system.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great info. Thanks! In that case I'll take it as is with whatever is geared towards heavier off-road.

No problem!

Granted, I have a Sport right now and have never noticed any issues with "slippage" or any sort of delay in the transfer case. I'll use 4 Auto if I'm driving highway in winter weather, 4 Lock for lower speed driving in winter weather, and I think I used 4 Low once to hook up to a fully loaded dump trailer that was at the bottom of a grassy hill in my brother's yard so I didn't chew up all his grass spinning tires haha. I have never noticed one single issue with the 4WD with the electronic clutches.

The issues I've seen guys mentioning are what I'd consider rare and/or extreme conditions. They dug themselves into deep mud and overheated the transfer case by hammering the throttle and trying to spin their way out. They were backing a huge boat up their steep grade gravel driveway and said that the hesitation in the transfer case allowed some rear wheel spin which made the task a lot more difficult than it should have been.

I also have a buddy who took a Power Wagon through a trail in over a foot of frozen over snow and snapped his axel in the process, so like I said, rare and/or extreme circumstances seem to coincide with issues with the 44-44.

However, if you know not to drive around in 4WD all the time on dry pavement, then the 44-45 in the Rebel is fantastic haha. The 44-45 locks front and rear when engaged, but leaves front open from side to side, and usually there's limited slip in the rear for side to side. This allows you to do on the fly shifting in and out of 4 Lock and allows more drivability instead of having the truck buck on you as you turn and the front is completely locked haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I drove down the beach in heavy loose sand I did notice some traction control every now an again. On 4x4 lock. I turned traction off but still saw it. Light comes one and you can feel it. It was mostly as I was steering between deep sand tracks. The truck had no issues handling it. I was at 30 psi all round and surprised how much it would handle on 2x4. My load was heavy. Actually suspension would not go to off-road due to load limit. Didn't know that was a feature. Not that it was needed on sand as diff hight don't change.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Truck has plenty of luxury options for me, I just wish it had true locking diffs, that the air suspension was engineered for off-road use (less harsh, more wheel travel and more hight differentiation/range between modes) and a widbody stance with 37's.

You know, basically a TRX (because who says no to a supercharger)

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I drove down the beach in heavy loose sand I did notice some traction control every now an again. On 4x4 lock. I turned traction off but still saw it. Light comes one and you can feel it. It was mostly as I was steering between deep sand tracks. The truck had no issues handling it. I was at 30 psi all round and surprised how much it would handle on 2x4. My load was heavy. Actually suspension would not go to off-road due to load limit. Didn't know that was a feature. Not that it was needed on sand as diff hight don't change.

I found out from a buddy, and have tried it and confirmed, after putting your truck into 4WD Lock, stop, or if you changed it while stopped stay stopped, before going, press and hold the traction control button for about 15secs?(abouts that I think). You will see on you cluster it says Traction Control Off(or something of the sort) your traction control will now be completely off while in 4WD Lock. When in 4WD Low, it will automatically turn off. It works great when in snow and want to play or other areas where you don't want your Traction Control on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.