Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted everyone's opinion on the use of spacers and the best brand and size? Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can be scary if not done correctly. No other real opinion. Id use the smallest size I can get and still get the stance and clearance that I would want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Increased bearing wear.
Yes due to the increased distance between the center of tire and center of bearing. Identical geometry to a wheel with a greater offset. The risk is that there are now 2 sets of studs and bolts holding the wheel on so an extra level of failure. There is also risk that the center of the wheel may not line up with the center of the hub due to play in the spacer. Done properly they are no worse than a wheel with a greater offset. My reco is go with no greater than a 2" spacer. Make sure the spacer is hubcentric and has separate lugs to attach the wheel.(no slide-ons) Ensure the nuts that attach the spacer to your hub are torqued to spec and use locktite. Torque wheel to spacer to spec. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not for me. Besides the issues already stated, wheel spacers really mess up the steering geometry in the front end. The increased positive scrub radius can cause bump steer and possible instability while cornering on rough roads. Greater loads will be imparted to the steering rack as well.
Wheel offset is a crucial part of steering/suspension design, fool with it at your own risk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great article. Scrub radius is also increased by putting on wider tires....who in their right mind with a 4x4 would want to do that? Lol. All I'm saying as that making virtually any mods to your wheel size or spacing will effect geometry but if guys like us decided to keep everything stock this forum probably wouldn't exist. Knowing the risks and doing things properly is the key here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great article. Scrub radius is also increased by putting on wider tires....who in their right mind with a 4x4 would want to do that? Lol. All I'm saying as that making virtually any mods to your wheel size or spacing will effect geometry but if guys like us decided to keep everything stock this forum probably wouldn't exist. Knowing the risks and doing things properly is the key here.
Wider tires do not affect scrub radius, changing the wheel offset does. Of course, if you have to use a different back spacing to get the tires to fit, then yes. And I agree, you should know the risks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wider tires do not affect scrub radius, changing the wheel offset does. Of course, if you have to use a different back spacing to get the tires to fit, then yes. And I agree, you should know the risks.
Sorry but you are wrong. The scrub radius is the distance in front view between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch of the wheel, where both would theoretically touch the road. A two inch wider wheel increases the distance from the king pin axis by 1 inch thereby increasing scrub radius. Sorry for the curt reply but being a mechanical engineer for twenty five years I know my sh*t and do not speak of mechanical forces I know nothing about.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sorry but you are wrong. The scrub radius is the distance in front view between the king pin axis and the center of the contact patch of the wheel, where both would theoretically touch the road. A two inch wider wheel increases the distance from the king pin axis by 1 inch thereby increasing scrub radius. Sorry for the curt reply but being a mechanical engineer for twenty five years I know my sh*t and do not speak of mechanical forces I know nothing about.
Two wheels with the same offset have the same centerline. So unless there is a change in offset, the wheel centerline will not change, regardless of wheel width. Yet in your example, you are moving the centerline outward by 1" with your wider wheel. That requires a +1" offset in the wider wheel. Please explain how this conflicts with raindog's comment?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are correct. If you do not change the wheel and only the tire there is no change in scrub radius. I am referring to more typical applications where installing wider tires require wider wheels with enough offset to clear fender walls and maintain turn radius. I guess we are still talking about wheel offset so point well taken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another aspect of scrub radius is tire height. If an offset is required to install wider tires you can counteract the negative effect to your scrub radius by going with a taller tire. The effect is not as pronounced as the wheel offset. For example if you had a 30" tire with a 2 inch offset a 50" tire would only gain you about 1" of scrub back. This will vary with king pin inclination. In a nut shell if you have to offset to go wider go as tall as you can. Woooohooo!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Correct. With the caveat that by tire height you mean tire outer diameter. I prefer to say it that way because folks don't always realize that changing for example from a /60 to a /70 tire isn't necessarily a height change as you change tire width. The geometry is straightforward. Camber changes also have an effect on scrub radius, although they're generally less pronounced.

@raindog was careful to mention the offset issue, probably because some guys have already changed to a wider wheel without varying their offset.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there a way to stance the truck on stock rims and tires without too messy of a result? Because of having at upgraded fender flares, it looks like I have about 2" of play and I'd love for a more stanced look. Is this acheviable and would my pars department carry and install this?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sure. Several guys have reported using spacers. I don't like them, I'd rather just switch rims to gain different offset, but that's me.

Whether your parts dept carries that stuff or not is questionable. Most only stock Mopar parts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts