Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best location to mount a CB in the Rebel cab? The only spot I can see is the storage "bucket" in the console, but I'd be concerned about how much I'd need to disassemble to run the antenna cable. There doesn't seem to be an easy place on the dash. I don't have a sunroof in my truck, so overhead is an option, but then I'm into dropping the headliner to run wires, and I don't know what's available up there to mount the radio to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on how big your CB is, I have a UHF/VHF and HF radio with detachable heads and make it look like it was supposed to be there ;

What's the best location to mount a CB in the Rebel cab? The only spot I can see is the storage "bucket" in the console, but I'd be concerned about how much I'd need to disassemble to run the antenna cable. There doesn't seem to be an easy place on the dash. I don't have a sunroof in my truck, so overhead is an option, but then I'm into dropping the headliner to run wires, and I don't know what's available up there to mount the radio to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on how big your CB is, I have a UHF/VHF and HF radio with detachable heads and make it look like it was supposed to be there ;
My radio is a Bearcat 980.

For that 857D, is that just the head, or did you actually put the whole radio in that pocket? I've wanted one of those for years, but I can never seem to free up enough to buy one when a good price shows up.

-KG5KBJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s just the head, I made a little angle bracket out of plastic block, I suppose if you were willing to cut up your console there is plenty of room in there. I had it all apart to lay the wiring and it comes apart pretty easilly.

857 is a great radio!

My radio is a Bearcat 980.

For that 857D, is that just the head, or did you actually put the whole radio in that pocket? I've wanted one of those for years, but I can never seem to free up enough to buy one when a good price shows up.

-KG5KBJ

·
Registered
69 Posts
I mounted my CB up on the headliner, but I had some extra aluminum plate to use as a backing support. So the headliner is sandwiched between the plate and mounting bracket. I did the same for the Mic mount.

I already had ran a ton of wires for my overhead switches so I just jumped the constant power from there.

just remember for the visor to fold up closer to the headliner, you’ll probably have to notch it out to accommodate the CB.... unless you go with one of those ultra compact models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a little couch pillow in the console and rested the radio on it. Side mounted the antenna on the bed by doing a small modification on a Leer cap.
All antenna cables invisible under the mats and out and under the back door.
I also have a 2meter radio mounted just under the steering wheel. Antenna for that goes out the other side.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only time I have needed a CB was when driving on forest roads during the logging season to monitor the trucks coming down out of the mountains that wll not stop for anything. A magnetic base antenna on the cab roof provides the best range as the metal stop of the roof provides a reflective surface for the signal. Mounting it on side mirrors or the side rail of the bed reduces the signal reach by 75%.

I have looked for a place at the rear of the cab where I could drill a hole or locate a factory hole with a rubber cap to run the antenna cable from the top of the roof and down the back of the cab and then into the cab. Often I have found factory holes on the bottom of the cab that I could use.

For the radio itself my preference is to mount it to the window with a suction device so it can be removed when not in use. I would not so much worry about it being stolen but having someone break a window in order to do so.

Older trucks has ash trays and these were perfect for mounting a CB radio and tapping into the power lead to the cigarette lighter.

If I wanted the radio to communicate to others in my group I would use GMRS radios and not the CB ones. The handheld radios have FCC output limited as the antenna is close to your head that receives the RF radiation. If the radio has a separate antenna then the power allowed is much greater. There are mobile "base stations" with power from 5 to 40 Watts. Midland makes a 15 Watt mobile GMRS radio that sells for only $150.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only time I have needed a CB was when driving on forest roads during the logging season to monitor the trucks coming down out of the mountains that wll not stop for anything. A magnetic base antenna on the cab roof provides the best range as the metal stop of the roof provides a reflective surface for the signal. Mounting it on side mirrors or the side rail of the bed reduces the signal reach by 75%.

I have looked for a place at the rear of the cab where I could drill a hole or locate a factory hole with a rubber cap to run the antenna cable from the top of the roof and down the back of the cab and then into the cab. Often I have found factory holes on the bottom of the cab that I could use.

For the radio itself my preference is to mount it to the window with a suction device so it can be removed when not in use. I would not so much worry about it being stolen but having someone break a window in order to do so.

Older trucks has ash trays and these were perfect for mounting a CB radio and tapping into the power lead to the cigarette lighter.

If I wanted the radio to communicate to others in my group I would use GMRS radios and not the CB ones. The handheld radios have FCC output limited as the antenna is close to your head that receives the RF radiation. If the radio has a separate antenna then the power allowed is much greater. There are mobile "base stations" with power from 5 to 40 Watts. Midland makes a 15 Watt mobile GMRS radio that sells for only $150.
The problem with a magnetic mount on the cab roof especially if you have a moon roof is there is actually minimum metal to act as a reflection for the signal.
Youd be better off mounting on the side and using the side of the truck as your reflector. More square feet of actual metal than the roof. Agreed, not the best, but actually better than mounting on the roof.

Also, and more importantly, if you mount your antenna too close to the shark fin antenna for the truck- every time you transmit, you will knock out your GPS, Sirius xm and navigation signal....try it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a huge fan of through the roof mounts for UHF/VHF mechanically and electrically superior in every way than a mag mount and cause less paint damage in my experience.

My HF antenna is a tarheel bed rail mounted about 1/4 in from the edge of the truck with the coil clearing the roof of the cab for practicality but "Free space over metal" seems to be the best recipe. I imagine this would also apply to a CB antenna, I usually install a proper cover with o ring seal on my roof antenna when i'm not using it.

The difference between side mount and roof mount was huge for me, I'll never go back to a mag mount after knowing how much better the performance is with a permanent mount. its literally night vs day.

Obviously I'm a big fan!

Steve

VA3ZXN

The problem with a magnetic mount on the cab roof especially if you have a moon roof is there is actually minimum metal to act as a reflection for the signal.
Youd be better off mounting on the side and using the side of the truck as your reflector. More square feet of actual metal than the roof. Agreed, not the best, but actually better than mounting on the roof.

Also, and more importantly, if you mount your antenna too close to the shark fin antenna for the truck- every time you transmit, you will knock out your GPS, Sirius xm and navigation signal....try it....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had no damage from a roof mounted antenna with a magnetic base and it has been important to be able to quickly take it off when going along roads with low hanging branches or to get into a car wash or even to wash the truck in my driveway.

Refecting a signal of the side of the truck makes no sense with an omni directional antenna as far less signal is being reflected to where someone can receive it. Check on antenna output and adding a metal base plate is the easiest way to gain more output from it.

Building in a city and trees and large rocks outdoors can reduce signal transmission by more than 75% so where you have the radio and antenna located is very important. When manufacturers publish the range of their radios it with the assumption that they are being in used in Kansas and not the Rocky Mountains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts