Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may as well start one of these. My truck is a Bright White 4X4 with RAM boxes and cargo management system. Spray on bed liner came as an added option. I thought I was going to have a CD player (I'm 63 - I have a lot of CDs) in the truck, but apparently they are considered obsolete by most manufacturers nowadays. So my first mod was to go to Prestige Audio on Causeway Blvd. in Metairie, LA for an aftermarket CD player and to have them install some rocks lights and lights for the bed of the truck, also aftermarket. Lastly, my truck did not have the factory light for the inside of the bed, so I picked up a set of those from Mopar, along with the wiring, and had those installed as well.

The CD was placed into the well between the front seats and neatly wired to plug into one of the jacks in the dash. And I have the premium sound system, so it sounds great with all of those Harmon-Kardon speakers. The aftermarket bed lights are situated around the upper rim of the bed and are quite bright. The rock lights (4) are bright, but I should have been explicit that I wanted them under the truck. Prestige installed them in the wheel wells, so my tires are now back lit. Different I guess. Lastly, the Mopar lights in the bed are all wired, but I have to go back to a Dodge dealer to have them enter a code to make them work. It was explained to me as "the truck doesn't know they're there." Prestige added two neat push buttons for the rock lights and upper bed lights. The lower Mopar bed lights have a switch on the light.

I did not have step rails to get in and out of the truck. So I purchased a set of Ionic rails, solid black, which I installed yesterday. They are completely bolt on and very easy to install, although it took me about 2.5 hours. I can't roll around under the truck like when I was younger. They look pretty good! I may change them out later for some rock sliders, but for now, the Ionic rails will do the job.

I got a bonus for Christmas, so I thought about how I'd like to spend it (of course). I made a sizeable donation to the local food bank, Second Harvest, since so many people are out of work due to COVID. New Orleans is generally not an affluent area anyway, so there is always a need at Second Harvest, which I support monthly. With COVID effecting the entire country, a donation to your local food bank would be a blessing to many of your neighbors.

I want to lift and level my truck. My first choice was to get the 6" Rough Country coilover kit. That kit requires new wheels from the 18" OE wheels (a 20" minimum). The more I thought about it, I became concerned that such a radical lift might put undue strain on the upper control arms (UCA), thereby reducing articulation and overstressing the UCA.

When I first joined the Forum and was looking around at other builds on the site, I quickly found Desert Dawg's, which I like quite a bit! Dawg added the Fabtech Dirt Logic 3" coilover lift kit, which includes new steel UPAs. So that was my decision. I purchased the kit yesterday from 4 Wheel Parts (out of stock). I chose the coilovers with the reservoir. This kit will also require a change of wheels from the OE. The Fabtech will allow me to stay with 18s or to move up to a bigger wheel at 20". While I haven't purchased them yet, I am pretty well set on Black Rhino Sprocket wheels. They will give me enough offset and backspace to accommodate the Fabtech lift and I think they look great. If I go with the 18s, I can keep my factory Goodyears until they need replacing. Nitto Ridge Grapplers maybe? That's a long way off though.

Well, that's it for now. I will try to get some photos to post into this thread, but as I tell people, I'm an analog man living in a digital world. Hopefully, I can give others on the Forum some ideas of what works and what doesn't.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to state above that the rock lights and upper bed lights are from Oracle. Seems to be good product. Bought at American Trucks. Thinking ahead, I've just ordered a set of Red Rock 4x4 Pocket Fender Flares for when I install the lift. $190, which is much less than the Bushwackers and other brands. They looked OK on the website. They won't ship for 6-7 weeks, but that's ok.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
97 Posts
Nice start! I also like your mod for incorporating an aftermarket CD player as I have an extensive collection as well and don't feel like replacing them with phone playlists. I need to follow suite and find something I can fit in the center console.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may as well start one of these. My truck is a Bright White 4X4 with RAM boxes and cargo management system. Spray on bed liner came as an added option. I thought I was going to have a CD player (I'm 63 - I have a lot of CDs) in the truck, but apparently they are considered obsolete by most manufacturers nowadays. So my first mod was to go to Prestige Audio on Causeway Blvd. in Metairie, LA for an aftermarket CD player and to have them install some rocks lights and lights for the bed of the truck, also aftermarket. Lastly, my truck did not have the factory light for the inside of the bed, so I picked up a set of those from Mopar, along with the wiring, and had those installed as well.

The CD was placed into the well between the front seats and neatly wired to plug into one of the jacks in the dash. And I have the premium sound system, so it sounds great with all of those Harmon-Kardon speakers. The aftermarket bed lights are situated around the upper rim of the bed and are quite bright. The rock lights (4) are bright, but I should have been explicit that I wanted them under the truck. Prestige installed them in the wheel wells, so my tires are now back lit. Different I guess. Lastly, the Mopar lights in the bed are all wired, but I have to go back to a Dodge dealer to have them enter a code to make them work. It was explained to me as "the truck doesn't know they're there." Prestige added two neat push buttons for the rock lights and upper bed lights. The lower Mopar bed lights have a switch on the light.

I did not have step rails to get in and out of the truck. So I purchased a set of Ionic rails, solid black, which I installed yesterday. They are completely bolt on and very easy to install, although it took me about 2.5 hours. I can't roll around under the truck like when I was younger. They look pretty good! I may change them out later for some rock sliders, but for now, the Ionic rails will do the job.

I got a bonus for Christmas, so I thought about how I'd like to spend it (of course). I made a sizeable donation to the local food bank, Second Harvest, since so many people are out of work due to COVID. New Orleans is generally not an affluent area anyway, so there is always a need at Second Harvest, which I support monthly. With COVID effecting the entire country, a donation to your local food bank would be a blessing to many of your neighbors.

I want to lift and level my truck. My first choice was to get the 6" Rough Country coilover kit. That kit requires new wheels from the 18" OE wheels (a 20" minimum). The more I thought about it, I became concerned that such a radical lift might put undue strain on the upper control arms (UCA), thereby reducing articulation and overstressing the UCA.

When I first joined the Forum and was looking around at other builds on the site, I quickly found Desert Dawg's, which I like quite a bit! Dawg added the Fabtech Dirt Logic 3" coilover lift kit, which includes new steel UPAs. So that was my decision. I purchased the kit yesterday from 4 Wheel Parts (out of stock). I chose the coilovers with the reservoir. This kit will also require a change of wheels from the OE. The Fabtech will allow me to stay with 18s or to move up to a bigger wheel at 20". While I haven't purchased them yet, I am pretty well set on Black Rhino Sprocket wheels. They will give me enough offset and backspace to accommodate the Fabtech lift and I think they look great. If I go with the 18s, I can keep my factory Goodyears until they need replacing. Nitto Ridge Grapplers maybe? That's a long way off though.

Well, that's it for now. I will try to get some photos to post into this thread, but as I tell people, I'm an analog man living in a digital world. Hopefully, I can give others on the Forum some ideas of what works and what doesn't.
I'm right behind you in age, I'm 56. I'm looking at a 2021 Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 with RamBoxes. But I really want the Multifunction tailgate so I can access the bed better. If I have to order it then I'll miss out on Employee pricing!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at wheels, since I won't be able to keep the OEM wheels when I add the 3" lift from Fabtech (on order). The 3" lift will allow me keep an 18" wheel, so I will not have to replace the factory tires until they are worn through. I had thought about a 6" Rough Country lift with coilovers, but that would require at least a 20" wheel, hence new tires. I have 1,200 miles on the truck, so I'm not too hip on changing those tires yet.

I have looked at a hundred of these things from multiple manufacturers (lots of good stuff out there) and eventually have narrowed it down to two wheels, both from Black Rhino. The Sprocket and the Arsenal. Both are 18 x 9.5, with a -18 offset and 4.5" backspace, so the wheel with be further out toward the exterior of the truck, allowing the new suspension room to move. The price difference is negligible - less than $10. The Arsenal weighs 2# more than Sprocket. Arsenals seem to be generally in stock, while Sprockets are generally not, but again, I don't mind waiting for the product. I was onto the Sprockets first time I saw them, but the Arsenal has been growing on me - sort of like mold.

Anyone have either one of these wheels? How do you like 'em? Any problems to speak of? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m looking into lifting options as well and I only have 100 miles on mine. At first I just wanted to get a spacer to level, then I read you couldn’t keep the stock tires and wheels. Then, I was looking at the RC 6” lift but had no idea you had to run 20’s. It seems like if you do 1 thing, it ties into you having to buy two others. I miss the days of just adding a spacer for level then you’re set. I will for sure be following your thread for updates. It seems like you might be going down the right path with just keeping the stock 33’s / new 18’s / Fabtech 3”.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Desert Dawg uses the same Fabtech lift. I got the idea for that one from him. If you go to his Build thread, he has pictures of tearing around with the new lift, so it looks to be pretty stout. And I agree with the "one change will need two other changes" observation. I'll run my 33's until replacement, then decide on new tires - either 34 or 35.

Oh, and if you do plan to wheel your truck, I wouldn't go with spacers, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Desert Dawg uses the same Fabtech lift. I got the idea for that one from him. If you go to his Build thread, he has pictures of tearing around with the new lift, so it looks to be pretty stout. And I agree with the "one change will need two other changes" observation. I'll run my 33's until replacement, then decide on new tires - either 34 or 35.

Oh, and if you do plan to wheel your truck, I wouldn't go with spacers, for what that's worth.
Yeah, I loved his build thread. Nice truck. After I posted this last night I found the Fabtech 3” Dirt logic on their site for like $2,868.69. If that is the case, I might as well get the 6” lift for $1400 and new rims and new tires.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I loved his build thread. Nice truck. After I posted this last night I found the Fabtech 3” Dirt logic on their site for like $3800. If that is the case, I might as well get the 6” lift for $1400 and new rims and new tires.
Whoa, you can get it for less than that - I did. Check out 4 Wheel Parts.com. I'm sure if you Google other dealers you will find it listed elsewhere. 4WP advertises as having the lowest price, but I'd still check around. My kit was $2,783, which included 3" ball joint UCAs, front reservoir coilovers, and Dirt Logic rear shocks. I ordered a couple of extra replacement uniballs for the UCAs (thinking ahead, that's a part which gets a lot of wear). You can mix and match these parts to get a higher price, for instance, add reservoirs to the rear shocks. Drop the reservoirs from the front coilovers and you'll save at least another $200 off what I paid.

It's all confusing as hell, ain't it?

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
97 Posts
It is always a dilemma when trying to sort things out. What it really comes down to is deciding what your priorities are going to be; cost, quality, performance (on- and off-road), and/or looks (ride height/stance). Typically, you can pick three of the four (for example, getting your vehicle to perform above factory specifications/expectations requires high quality designs and components but at significant cost).

So it is not "apples to apples" comparison between Fabtech with Dirt Logic (or similar) components and Rough Country with its components; basically, you get what you pay for! If cost is the prime consideration for getting the most lift for the buck, I think RC is a good option if you're mostly driving on the street. But if you have plans for any real overlanding/off-road adventures, I would not consider any RC system. The reasoning, while RC is based out of Tennessee with US distribution centers, their components are designed such to keep the price down and then outsourced to companies in China resulting in lower quality components (lesser thicknesses, looser tolerances, and inferior materials for cross members, knuckles, shock bodies, etc.). But also, the Fabtech Dirt Logic and similar coil-over systems are designed for only achieving a moderate (2-3 inch) lift with high quality coil-overs/rear shocks to maintain lower center of gravity, improved handling, and on-road/off-road rebound performance and control. The RC system utilizes drop brackets with many more parts and tons of bolts/washers/nuts that eventually loosen especially if you put the system under extreme load conditions (or even break out on the trail which I have seen). The ride quality (on- and off-road especially) will also be far inferior than any of the more expensive options but perfectly fine for most on-road applications (although turn-in feel and stability performance will suffer but that goes for any +4-inch lift systems and larger tires).

But I get it; RC is highly popular with a lot of Ford/Chevy/Ram/Titan truck owners these days due to the fact you can obtain 5-6 inch lifts at a huge cost savings. Also, RC is not the same RC of just a decade ago as their current offerings are better engineered than that of past designs. So I would think RC is a good option as long as you understand what you're getting for the price. And I say the same thing to folks considering the Dirt Logic/Fox/King systems and the like; if you don't ever need the performance that these systems provide and/or you really want a highly lifted truck, it makes no sense to purchase the these higher priced systems (except maybe for bragging rights). About the only thing that I might consider are the hybrid (coil-over/drop bracket) systems that give you most of the benefits are both types of systems but then you may end up paying more than ever so that gets into a whole other discussion.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've kind of gotten off my inquiry re Black Rhino wheels (separate post). Arsenal v. Sprocket (sounds like an English Premier soccer game). Any one have either? Any one have problems with either? I can't decide with which to go, so I'm looking for some input. Any other Black Rhino problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
97 Posts
We've kind of gotten off my inquiry re Black Rhino wheels (separate post). Arsenal v. Sprocket (sounds like an English Premier soccer game). Any one have either? Any one have problems with either? I can't decide with which to go, so I'm looking for some input. Any other Black Rhino problems? Thanks.
Yeah, sorry about that! I looked at both of those wheels too as I really liked them but obviously selected the Black Rhino Duggers instead. The Sprockets have cleaner lines and I think the off-gray color would work well with your white truck especially if leveled/mildly lifted. The Arsenals are a busy, military looking wheel that doesn't look as good on mildly leveled/lifted trucks IMHO but would look awesome if you went with the 6-inch lift route!

I can report that so far the Black Rhino wheels have been great with no issues at all...they really come off as having a high quality finished look! Also nice that you don't see too many folks rocking Black Rhinos whereas most are sporting Fuels, XDs, and the like.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dawg. I agree the Arsenals are busy, but on the BR website they looked pretty good on the vehicles in their Gallery. I thought a bit about Fuel Rebel 6 wheels as well just because they're named Rebel.

I could go for some "Christmas" enchiladas right about now. Had them in Hatch once with fresh peppers. If I could move from here, I'd go to northern New Mexico. Either around Farmington or Taos - like 'em both.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel 4X4
97 Posts
Thanks Dawg. I agree the Arsenals are busy, but on the BR website they looked pretty good on the vehicles in their Gallery. I thought a bit about Fuel Rebel 6 wheels as well just because they're named Rebel.

I could go for some "Christmas" enchiladas right about now. Had them in Hatch once with fresh peppers. If I could move from here, I'd go to northern New Mexico. Either around Farmington or Taos - like 'em both.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the Arsenals are very cool looking wheels but I just personally like them better on trucks with a little more lift to them (as with some other wheels). But honestly, can't go wrong with them and they will blend in nicely with the matte black trim of the Rebel actually. I also considered the Fuel Rebels too (and for same reason...lol) but they are getting a lot of play on numerous makes of trucks so really wanted something different. But they're a good looking wheel for sure!

Hah, that's crazy you mentioned Christmas enchiladas! My kid's girlfriend made a bunch for Christmas and then for New Years using her Grandmother's recipe (from Mexico) with Hatch red chili and they were amazing. I should have saved you some!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a pretty productive morning. I was all but set on the Black Rhino Cinco wheels when I went back to the BR site and noticed the Chamber. It's less dressy than the Cinco, but it weighs 2# less (33 v. 31) and has a slightly higher capacity (2450# v. 2500). The combo of more strength with less weight won me over. I did not see the Chamber on any of the after market sites I visit, so I went by Southern Tire in Metairie, LA, a BR dealer, and ordered a set. Matte Black 18x9.5 with a -18 offset and 4.59" backspace. I went with the large negative offset because I have a FabTech lift on order. I'm going to keep my factory tires until they get some wear, then I'm pretty sure about Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Speaking of the lift, I went by Dirty Sanchez Offroad (what a name) in Metairie to speak to them about installing the lift when it comes. No problem, will do. They looked up the kit I ordered and downloaded directions to make sure it was in the wheelhouse.

It was about 11:15 by then. Lunch time! R&O's Restaurant along Lake Pontchartrain for the best oyster po-boy in town, which might make it the best oyster po-boy in the world.

Yep, a good morning. Of course, now I'm at work.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With all of the above, I find myself still looking at the next upgrades I'd like. I want a winch on the truck (from day one), but I thought I'd also have to spring for a new front bumper. I was looking at Addictive Desert Designs which makes a Rebel compatible bumper, as does Warn. ADD looks better and is less bulky - and is about $2,400. But then I came across the Vice Design internal winch mount for the Rebel. $569. Eureka! It's what I'm going to do. I am going to pair that with a Warn EVO 12S, 12,000# winch with the synthetic rope. Vice has the best price on that winch that I have found nosing around the net, so I will buy the whole shebang from them.

I'm waiting for my next paycheck however - you know what I mean! One thing I did order today was an aluminum hawse fairlead with 6 built-in LEDs across the top of it from Cascadia 4x4. I'll replace the Warn fairlead with this. I thought it was an innovative little item - you can always use a little extra light. Cascadia also makes solar powered trickle battery chargers, up to 100 watts, which sit on the top of the hood like a mat. However, there is not one specific to any RAM. Jeep, yes, several. Some look generic enough that they would probably fit on the Rebel, but I'd get measurements first before I'd buy anything like that. The charger does not strike me as an item I'd leave on the truck driving around the city, but on an offroad excursion, it would provide some valuable insurance.

And thinking about it, I order a Mophie battery charger from the Home Shopping Network. It was $109, but will jump start a car numerous times on one change. It charges cell phones, etc, as well, but I got it for insurance for offroad.

Now if my Fabtech lift and Chamber wheels would only come in! I suspect I'll get the wheels first.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Mophie arrived today. One thing about HSN, they ship items fast!. I have 4 orders sitting in limbo from 4 Wheel Parts. They have great stuff, but a couple of my order go back to November. C'mon man! This includes my Fabtech lift, which I'd really like to have installed.

I picked up a 20" Oracle LED light bar today from American Truck. Over 11,000 lumens, so it should shine. I have some Oracle lights on my truck now and have had no problems. I plan on installing on the front grille below the "RAM" letters. I was going to get a comparable 20" light from ProComp thru 4 Wheel Parts, but until they clear up my back orders, I'm not giving them any more business. The Oracle light was more expensive (although the specs were comparable), but I can be more confident in actually taking possession of the light.

I get paid tomorrow ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts